ciclopirox topical (cont.)
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using ciclopirox topical (Loprox, Penlac Nail Lacquer)?
Do not use ciclopirox topical if you have had an allergic reaction to it in the past.
Before using ciclopirox topical, tell your doctor if you
- have diabetes;
- are immunosuppressed (e.g., have received an organ transplant or have AIDS);
- take medication to control epilepsy or another seizure disorder;
- use a topical corticosteroid on a regular basis; or
- use a steroid inhaler on a regular basis.
You may not be able to use ciclopirox topical nail lacquer or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during your treatment .
Ciclopirox topical is the FDA pregnancy category B. This means that it is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Do not use ciclopirox topical without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether ciclopirox passes into breast milk. Do not use ciclopirox topical without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use ciclopirox topical (Loprox, Penlac Nail Lacquer)?
Use ciclopirox topical exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
To use ciclopirox topical cream or lotion:
- Wash your hands before and after using this medication, unless you are using ciclopirox topical to treat a hand condition.
- Clean and dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of the cream (usually twice daily) for 2 to 4 weeks. Follow your doctor's instructions.
- Do not use bandages or dressings that do not allow air to circulate (occlusive dressings) on areas treated with ciclopirox cream or lotion, unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Wear loose-fitting clothing (preferably cotton).
- If the infection does not clear up in 4 weeks, or if it appears to get worse, see your doctor.
To use ciclopirox shampoo:
- Wet the hair and apply approximately 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of the shampoo to the scalp. Up to 2 teaspoons (10 mL) may be used for long hair. Lather and leave on the hair and scalp for 3 minutes. A timer may be used. Rinse off the shampoo after 3 minutes have passed.
- Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, and inside of the mouth.
- Treatment should be repeated twice per week for 4 weeks, with a minimum of 3 days between applications. If no improvement is seen after 4 weeks of treatment, contact your doctor.
To use ciclopirox topical nail lacquer:
- Remove any loose nail or nail material using nail clippers or a nail file.
- Apply ciclopirox topical nail lacquer once daily (preferably at bedtime) to all affected nails with the applicator brush provided. Apply the lacquer evenly over the entire nail. Where possible, apply the nail laquer to the underside of the nail and to the skin beneath it. Allow the lacquer to dry (approximately 30 seconds) before putting on socks or stockings. After applying the medication, wait 8 hours before taking a bath or shower.
- Apply ciclopirox topical nail lacquer daily over the previous coat. Once a week, remove ciclopirox topical nail lacquer with alcohol. Remove as much as possible of the damaged nail using nail clippers or nail a file.
- Use ciclopirox topical nail lacquer on nails and immediately surrounding skin only. Avoid contact with other areas.
- Treatment with ciclopirox topical nail lacquer may require six months or more before initial improvement of symptoms is noticed. Up to 48 weeks of daily application of the nail lacquer, monthly removal of the unattached infected nail by a health care professional, and weekly trimming by the patient may be required for complete treatment.
- To prevent the screw cap from sticking to the bottle, do not allow the solution to get into the bottle treads. To prevent the solution from drying out, close the bottle tightly after every use.
Use ciclopirox topical for the full amount of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely healed however, it is important to use the medication for the full amount of time.
Avoid getting ciclopirox topical in the eyes, nose, or mouth.
Store ciclopirox topical at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Ciclopirox topical nail lacquer is flammable, keep it away from heat and flame. Protect the ciclopirox topical nail lacquer from light by storing the bottle in the carton after every use. Once a bottle of ciclopirox topical shampoo is opened, it should be used within 8 weeks.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill finder tool on RxList.