Font Size

oxytocin (cont.)

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using oxytocin (Pitocin, Syntocinon)?

Do not take oxytocin without first talking to your doctor if you

  • have or have had cervical cancer;
  • have an allergy to oxytocin, other medications, dyes, foods, or preservatives;
  • have eclampsia;
  • have herpes;
  • have had more than 7 pregnancies;
  • are experiencing premature labor;
  • have had a caesarean section (C-section);
  • have had any surgery on the cervix or uterus;
  • have a prolapsed uterus; or
  • have a breech, placenta previa or any other issues with the fetus or umbilical cord.

You may not be able to use oxytocin, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.

Tell your doctor about all prescription or over-the-counter medicines including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products that your are taking.

Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or caffeine drinks regularly, if you are a smoker or if you use illegal drugs. These factors can affect the way oxytocin works in your body.

There are no known indications for the use of oxytocin in the first or second trimester of pregnancy other than in relation to spontaneous or induced abortion. Based on the wide experience with this drug and its properties, it would not be expected to present a risk of harm to the baby when used as indicated under the supervision of a trained healthcare professional. Ask your doctor to answer any questions you have about the use of oxytocin and your pregnancy.

How should I use oxytocin (Pitocin, Syntocinon)?

Oxytocin should be administered as an injection into a muscle or intravenously by a healthcare provider. It should be administered in a clinical setting where a healthcare provider can monitor uterine contractions and other vital signs (blood pressure, heart rates) and where an emergency situation can be handled properly.

Your healthcare provider will store oxytocin as directed by the manufacturer.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Pill Identifier Tool

Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill finder tool on RxList.