Font Size

Drug Dependence & Abuse (cont.)

Self-Care at Home

If a drug has been ingested inappropriately, contact a local chapter of the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Visiting an emergency department is usually appropriate to obtain proper treatment.

  • Home care is not appropriate if the drug of abuse cannot be identified. People who have ingested unknown drugs should be taken to the emergency department immediately.
  • People with severe symptoms should not be treated at home. They should be taken directly to the emergency department.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/23/2014

Must Read Articles Related to Drug Dependence & Abuse

Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Drug Overdose
Drug Overdose Overdoses of drugs or chemicals can be either accidental or intentional. Drug overdoses occur when a person takes more than the medically recommended dose. Over...learn more >>

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Infecting Drug Use »

The hypodermic syringe was invented in the mid-1800s.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary