Viewer Comments: Dry Eye Syndrome - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dry Eye Syndrome:

Dry Eye Syndrome - Causes

What was the cause of your dry eye syndrome?

Comment from: spps, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I wear one-day contact lenses. Last night I had a stabbing pain in my left eye and my eyelid was stuck to my eye. It was so dry!

Comment from: Jebo101, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Mine started after two months of being on a Synthroid for thyroid deficiency.

Comment from: cathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have suffered from chronic dry eye for many years and have undergone quite a few medical procedures which unfortunately have failed to offer any relief. These procedures include 3 ocular implants (all failed to stay in the tear ducts) my tear ducts have been permanently cauterized shut to try to entice the few tears I have to spread over the entire eyes. I've had a procedure to remove excess skin on my eyelids to make them have a larger blink and I have had implants inserted in the lower ducts. None of these procedures have given me the slightest relief. One specialist told me that I have sufficient tears but that the lubricant doesn't mix but stays behind my eyelids. My days are miserable and I have now given up seeing specialists as nothing has helped relieve the condition over 10 years.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I wasn't sure I even had dry eye. I would experience discomfort from time to time but never took it seriously until it became unbearable. I attended a Dry Eye Conference in Long Beach a few years back and discovered a lot that I over looked when it came to my eyes. Ultimately I was diagnosed with Sjogren's. You can never be too careful when dealing with dry eye that is why I am planning on attending the next Dry Eye Conference in Boston this June! Thank you Sjogren's syndrome Foundation!

Must Read Articles Related to Dry Eye Syndrome

Bell's Palsy
Bell Palsy Bell's palsy is the sudden weakness of one side of the face. It is often temporary and may be triggered by stress, trauma, fever, tooth extractions, or viral il...learn more >>
Eye Pain
Eye Pain Eye pain has many causes, signs, symptoms, and treatments. It's also described as pain behind the eye, eye socket pain, or shooting pain in the eye. Headaches a...learn more >>
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid Arthritis Rheumatoid arthritis (often called RA) is a chronic (long-standing) disease that damages the joints of the body. The damage is caused by inflammation, a normal ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dry Eye Syndrome:

Dry Eye Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with dry eye syndrome.

Dry Eye Syndrome - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dry eye syndrome?