E. coli: Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7 (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Self-Care at Home
In general, the majority of E. coli 0157:H7 infections are self-limited and require no treatment. However, the person should stay well-hydrated with oral fluids; if this is not possible, medical care should be obtained. In addition, investigators caution people not to use left-over antibiotics or other medicines such as atropine and diphenoxylate (Lomotil) as these may worsen the disease and trigger complications.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 10/19/2012
Bhupinder Anand, MD
Must Read Articles Related to E. coli: Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about E. coli (Escherichia coli 0157:H7, E. coli 0157:H7) Infections:
E. coli Infection - Symptoms
What were your symptoms of E. coli infection?
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?