Viewer Comments: Earache - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earache:

Earache - Causes

What was the cause of your earache?

Comment from: Female Published: May 07

I first had a sinus cold which created headaches, then a week or so later, I developed an earache. Not entirely certain if this was the cause, but my nose, sinuses and ear were all affected on the same side.

Published: December 05

I have a fungal infection in my ear.

Comment from: Polly, 75 or over Female Published: March 12

I went to dentist last Thursday, had a crown removed. Now I'm having pain in my ears.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

While SCUBA diving in a cavern for the first time I had difficulty equalizing the pressure in my right year and experienced ear pressure squeeze. Not wanted to get separated from the group, (I was at the end of the group), I equalized my ear with a lot more force than usual. Ear felt full, clogged and "gurgled" ever since. The next day, on plane back I developed a bad ear ache, with feverish chills. I went to see doctor the following day. He said my eardrum and sinuses were inflamed and thought I had a middle ear infection as well. He referred me to an ENT and gave me drops and well and oral steroids in the meantime.

Comment from: Debbie Z., 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My son's earache started from a female student who decided to scream in his ear while riding the bus. KIDS!

Comment from: Ellen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I developed swimmer's ear 35 years ago. After medical treatment my ear never was the same. Over the years I have had almost constant pain, excessive drainage, and polyps. I have gone to specialist many times and the last doctor told me I just have to live with it; that my ear is not normal, whatever that means. Right now I'm lying down with a heating pad on my ear. I'm planning to go to another doctor.

Comment from: Willowtree, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I tried to clean out my right ear by myself with hot water and hydrogen peroxide! I hoped that after I cleaned it that the pain would stop but it didn't! I gave it a day, but it still hurt so I just used hot water. But it still hurts more than it did before!!!! Now the right side of my throat hurts also!!!

Comment from: Ankm, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have a cold with a decent fever. I don't have a car and had to go somewhere so I rode my scooter. It was kind of cold and now my ears are killing me.

Comment from: Steven F., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a cold for a week. The cold symptoms are diminishing and my ear hurts and feels full and congested.

I've been having ear itch, deep down in a ear canal, and the only way I could reach it was a Q TIP, and in the next two days I felt big bump on my ear, which slowly began swelling up, and terrible pain. I wrapped a scarf around head to keep my ear warm, I've been taking ibuprofen, but it seems not helping me. Hopefully it will go away by itself.

Related Reading: ibuprofen

My daughter had pink eye, 99-degree fever and sinus congestion for 3 days. We treated the pink eye with hot compress and drops of silver water (20 pp million), which had an immediate positive impact. Since the fever was low, we did not administer ibuprofen unless she complained of a bad headache. The fever was gone on day 3, and the pink eye on day 4. However, at the end of day four, she was brought to tears by sharp ear pain. Not sure if the ear pain is related to the sinus congestion, but we are treating sinus congestion symptoms with over the counter medication and using a cold mist humidifier to increase humidity. We are using warm compress to ease the ear pain, and she has fallen asleep, so hopefully will awaken in less pain.

Comment from: ernie, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My son's earache started around midnight, I applied ear drops and used a warm towel to press the outer ear. The pain reduced within 20 minutes.

Must Read Articles Related to Earache

Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Foreign Body, Ear
Foreign Body, Ear Getting an object stuck in the ear is a relatively common problem, especially in toddlers. The vast majority of items are lodged in the ear canal, which is the ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earache:

Earache - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your earache?

Earache - Experience

Please describe your experience with earache.