Viewer Comments: Earache - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earache:

Earache - Causes

What was the cause of your earache?

Comment from: bue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

Tubes were put in my ears to go in the oxygen chamber. I couldn't stand and the tubes were removed in 4 days. I am now having problems with ear aches. One ear is trying to close up over the ear drum. The other isn't closed up yet. I wish I had never done it, I had an open wound. Doctor said I need to do that to get it healed. I hope I get they get ok but right now I am in pain with earaches.

Comment from: Female Published: May 07

I first had a sinus cold which created headaches, then a week or so later, I developed an earache. Not entirely certain if this was the cause, but my nose, sinuses and ear were all affected on the same side.

Comment from: anon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

Unilateral ear pain that persists for more than a couple of weeks should be evaluated by an ENT as this could signify a warning sign for a head and neck cancer.

Published: December 05

I have a fungal infection in my ear.

Comment from: Polly, 75 or over Female Published: March 12

I went to dentist last Thursday, had a crown removed. Now I'm having pain in my ears.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

While SCUBA diving in a cavern for the first time I had difficulty equalizing the pressure in my right year and experienced ear pressure squeeze. Not wanted to get separated from the group, (I was at the end of the group), I equalized my ear with a lot more force than usual. Ear felt full, clogged and "gurgled" ever since. The next day, on plane back I developed a bad ear ache, with feverish chills. I went to see doctor the following day. He said my eardrum and sinuses were inflamed and thought I had a middle ear infection as well. He referred me to an ENT and gave me drops and well and oral steroids in the meantime.

Comment from: Debbie Z., 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My son's earache started from a female student who decided to scream in his ear while riding the bus. KIDS!

Comment from: Ellen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I developed swimmer's ear 35 years ago. After medical treatment my ear never was the same. Over the years I have had almost constant pain, excessive drainage, and polyps. I have gone to specialist many times and the last doctor told me I just have to live with it; that my ear is not normal, whatever that means. Right now I'm lying down with a heating pad on my ear. I'm planning to go to another doctor.

Comment from: Willowtree, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I tried to clean out my right ear by myself with hot water and hydrogen peroxide! I hoped that after I cleaned it that the pain would stop but it didn't! I gave it a day, but it still hurt so I just used hot water. But it still hurts more than it did before!!!! Now the right side of my throat hurts also!!!

Comment from: Ankm, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have a cold with a decent fever. I don't have a car and had to go somewhere so I rode my scooter. It was kind of cold and now my ears are killing me.

Comment from: Steven F., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a cold for a week. The cold symptoms are diminishing and my ear hurts and feels full and congested.

I've been having ear itch, deep down in a ear canal, and the only way I could reach it was a Q TIP, and in the next two days I felt big bump on my ear, which slowly began swelling up, and terrible pain. I wrapped a scarf around head to keep my ear warm, I've been taking ibuprofen, but it seems not helping me. Hopefully it will go away by itself.

Must Read Articles Related to Earache

Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to ...learn more >>
Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Foreign Body, Ear
Foreign Body, Ear Getting an object lodged in the ear is a common problem -- especially among toddlers. learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Earache:

Earache - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your earache?

Earache - Experience

Please describe your experience with earache.