Viewer Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ectopic Pregnancy:

Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to ectopic pregnancy?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for 10 months, after already having lost one pregnancy at 9 weeks we were 7 weeks pregnant this time. I was just sitting at home eating dinner and then started not feeling very well. All of a sudden it felt like I have been stabbed in the right side of my stomach. I managed to get myself to the bed where I laid in pain. After 8 long painful hours, my husband convinced me we needed an ambulance as I couldn't even sit up or move as the pain was so severe. One minute I would go from being hot and sweaty and feeling like I was going to vomit to being freezing cold. I had no idea what was happening to me. Once at the hospital the doctor thought it was my appendix, however because I was pregnant they couldn't give me much pain killers. I had an ultrasound to see what was happening and that's when they realized it was an ectopic pregnancy. They sent me straight into surgery. The doctors told me they had to cut my right fallopian tube as my egg had ruptured. They did reassure me by saying I can still get pregnant with just my left tube and they can reattach my right tube if I have any trouble. I spent 5 nights in hospital recovering and now have a scar going from the top of my belly button down to my pubic bone.

Comment from: tara7, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I first went to the doctor Nov 6th after having weeks of stinging when I urinated. A couple days prior I was waking up in the morning with horrible pains in my abdomen, vagina, and even my bowels. But the pain eventually went away so I thought nothing of it until the morning of Nov 6th the pain wouldn't go away. So I scheduled an apt with my gyno thinking I had a UTI. After testing I found out I was pregnant. And after more testing, they THOUGHT it could be ectopic but didn't want to say yes or no. They monitored my blood levels, and 3 days later they said I was having a miscarriage. 2 weeks later Nov 20th I went to the ER with horrible pains once again that I couldn't even walk. After tons of testing, and pap smears and vaginal ultra sounds at the hospital it showed the mass was still in my left tube and was getting bigger. My doctor treating the pregnancy got a call and was told of what was going on and sent me HOME with pain medications at 4 in the morning. The following morning the pain was 10 times worse. I went back to the ER at 11 am and called a NEW doctor to look at my file, and I was in surgery within 1 hour of being in the hospital. I should not have had to endure the pain I went through. Emotionally and physically all because of this doctor who wanted to wait. Wait for what? Me to die? That could have happened. Thankfully, I didn't have to have a tube removed. The baby was outside of my ovary. Unfortunately even 3 months later the pain is still there. Physically and especially emotionally.

Comment from: Portia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was told that I am 19 weeks pregnant and I have to have surgery to have the baby removed. I have never missed a period and I was not aware that I was pregnant. The baby is not in the uterus or the fallopian tubes.

Comment from: cwalkben, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

After trying to conceive for what seemed like forever, I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant with my second child. A week later I noticed I was spotting but I could not tell were the bleeding was coming from. The next morning after a painful night's rest, I got up and went to the bathroom thinking I was miscarrying. I went to the ER and after 11 hours and two ultra sounds, it was discovered that the pregnancy was ectopic. An emergency surgery was scheduled and the pregnancy was removed from my left tube. The doctors said there was a 10 percent chance of it happening again, and that I would be able to conceive again in two months. Here we go again. I have not gone to my follow up appointment, but we shall see how everything goes.

Must Read Articles Related to Ectopic Pregnancy

Chlamydia
Chlamydia Chlamydia is a sexual transmitted disease (STD) transmitted when people have sexual relations. Often, there are no symptoms. Chlamydia is caused by the bacteriu...learn more >>
Gonorrhea
Gonorrhea Gonorrhea is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Gonorrhea is caused by the bacteria Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and is transmitted from per...learn more >>
Miscarriage
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ectopic Pregnancy:

Ectopic Pregnancy - Cause

What condition (if known) was the cause of your ectopic pregnancy?

Parenting Know-How: We've hand-picked our best pregnancy, baby and parenting content just for you