Viewer Comments: Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ectopic Pregnancy:

Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience prior to ectopic pregnancy?

Comment from: 5th march 2010, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was at work on the mines. My partner and I was having a quiet beer with our work mates I just finished my period and I felt a soft discomfort pain in my lower abs when I finished my first beer. I thought to myself I must need to go to the toilet. As I got closer the pain went from being bearable to walking like a hunch back. I sat on the toilet and tried to do my thing, I noticed then it was not that as I tried to stand back up I started to sweat like someone had just turned the tap on me and left it running for a good 5 min. When I managed to get up the pain had gotten that bad I was curled up over the sink with my pants undone my face was that white it was whiter then this screen. I managed to pull myself together and walk out of the toilet. At this time I was short of breath and starting to pass out. I tried to walk with my back straight back to my partner where I told him I wasn't felling to well. He suggested to me to go see the onsite paramedics then also said that if u go u will be going and not coming back to site. This made me worry so I said ill go lay down in bed, as my partner was looking at me I was losing the fight and ended up at the paramedics. They had no idea what was wrong with me and phoned the local hospital which was 2 hours away. When I arrived the docs did a couple of tests and told me I was pregnant and what blood type I was. At this stage the pain was unbearable every move touch was agony. After trying to stabilize me I was then flown to another hospital where they can treat me. I was raced into the operating theatre where they removed my left tube and the egg. When I finally came round I was told I had a Ectopic Pregnancy, and the pain was due to my tube erupting I had lost 3Ltrs off blood by the time I reached the first hospital and lost a couple more in surgery. I was in hospital for a total of 6 days. I am now recovering slowly back at my aunts place where I'm closely being watched.

Comment from: tatyana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have always wanted to have a baby since I got married. It has been a whole year of trying to get pregnant until finally I became pregnant. I think it took long because of the birth control methods. When I first found out I was pregnant I was at the clinic in which I was seen in the emergency side for cramps and brown spotting. When the doctor told me I was pregnant I couldn't believe it, I was so happy I couldn't wait to get home and tell my husband. Even though I was happy I was still shocked when the doctor told me that I could be having a miscarriage. She then told me to come back for blood tests. Three days later I got up to use the bathroom and I had the worst abdominal pain ever, it followed down to my pelvic area and my back was aching. The next thing I remember is my husband trying to wake me up. My husband called the ambulance and was rushed into the ER. It was the longest 11 hours of my life. After many tests and ultra sounds the doctor then told me I had to have emergency surgery because I had some internal bleeding. 2 hours later the surgery was over and the nurses were very comforting. They told me everything went well and that the other tube and my eggs appeared to look healthy. They told me that I can get pregnant again, but I know that the chances of having another ectopic is possible because the doctor warned me. It has been almost a week and I'm recovering well. I have a follow up soon and I will be asking a lot of questions. I am not going to give up on getting pregnant, but it is going to take time to heal!

Comment from: JByard, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I just found out last week my pregnancy was ectopic. I already have one son and my husband and I have been trying unsuccessfully for our second. When we found out we were pregnant again we were so happy, but the doctor was so cautious he wouldn't even give us a due date until I held the pregnancy for 2 more weeks. I started spotting and cramping, which broke our hearts, but it never turned into a full blood stream like my previous miscarriages. I went to the ER and after spending 12 hours in the ER, they ruled it ectopic and scheduled me for an immediate tubal removal. They removed my left fallopian tube. I haven't yet been back to the doctor to get my stitches out and talk about things, but we're so scared I won't be able to carry a successful full term pregnancy again. It is so nice to hear some successful stories on here.

Comment from: Angel0576, 35-44 (Patient) Published: November 04

I had an ectopic pregnancy that required surgery last week. I was seven weeks pregnant through IVF. I started having brownish discharge around four weeks and some red spotting here and there, but the brown discharge never went away. When I went in for the ultrasound to hear the heart beat is when they discovered it was ectopic. I cannot describe the emotional pain that was involved with all of this and right now I am still numb from it all. I never had pain besides a sharp cramp here and there and I was very lucky they detected it when they did. I do not wish this on anyone as it is very hard to handle but each day is a new day and another day closer to trying to conceive again.

Comment from: ANGEL, Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Abdominal pain was the first symptom. I went to the hospital for a check-up and they did some tests and told me I was pregnant. After a week, I started seeing light blood. As it turns out, it was ectopic. I needed surgery immediately to avoid a rupture. I only have one Fallopian tube now.

Must Read Articles Related to Ectopic Pregnancy

Chlamydia Chlamydia is a sexual transmitted disease (STD) transmitted when people have sexual relations. Often, there are no symptoms. Chlamydia is caused by the bacteriu...learn more >>
Gonorrhea Gonorrhea is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Gonorrhea is caused by the bacteria Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and is transmitted from per...learn more >>
Miscarriage A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ectopic Pregnancy:

Ectopic Pregnancy - Cause

What condition (if known) was the cause of your ectopic pregnancy?