Viewer Comments: Eczema - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your Eczema?

Comment from: Camilla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had eczema for most of my life. I am 26 and I started using Eucerin lotion, and Cetpahil.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I have eczema patches on my legs. Steroids have only made the areas smoother but the redness has remained. Visits to specialists several years ago ended with a verdict of "Blame your mum, it's hereditary." Recently, I developed a patch on my forehead. With the sunny weather upon us I was using sunscreen. I was pleased to find that it didn't just avoid sunburn but the red patch disappeared. I decided to try it twice a day on my leg patches. It's only been a week but they seem to be fading.

Comment from: Stormie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 30

The most effective help I have found (on suggestion of my Dr.) is to NOT use soap, but to use DOVE for bathing. It has proven to be very effective for me. The problem has 'gone away' within the first week of stopping the use of SOAP.

Comment from: Ictchy In Seattle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had eczema my entire life. I am 29 years old now and it seems to be getting worse. It is spreading to new spots on my body and the scaling and redness is much worse. I have found that cutting out Gluten and Dairy has helped.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have discoid eczema which starts as small red spots then becomes big red wheals and after 24hours becomes a bigger area partly red but mostly a black bruise. Steroid creams do not seem to help but moisture creams do. I'm usually so itchy and hot that I cannot sleep.

Comment from: red bird, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

As an adult I developed eczema on my left lower leg above the ankle. It turned out I am allergic to soy. I kept it under almost complete control by totally avoiding soy until I moved to be near family. Soy is virtually impossible to avoid when eating out, and I now enjoy eating out with family fairly regularly. I am putting up with the red and somewhat itchy eczema (always occurring in that one lower outside leg area). Life is too short and since I live in Minnesota where it is cold half the year. The eczema area is usually covered up. I'm just letting people know common foods such as soy CAN be the source (no doubt in my case)!

Comment from: Sarah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have suffered Eczema ever since I was a young child. I was given orange juice by my mum when I was very young and the first sign was a rash on my bottom. I am now 28 and only within the last 2 years I have suffered terribly. I usually suffer worse in the winter and a little in the spring when all the pollens are out. I itch very intensely. Affected areas are the shoulders, back, chest, neck, behind the elbows, wrists, arms, between the fingers, hands, and sometimes behind the knees and the legs. I have also had itchiness of the eyes and on the forehead. Cortisone creams have helped. I have also taken oral cortisone tablets that have worked wonders short-term. I was lucky. I booked a holiday to India. After just a day or two of my skin exposure to those conditions my skin completely cleared up. I didn't need to apply creams I felt completely cured. I felt like I had a new layer of skin. I felt so smooth no pain or itchiness!! Even the red hot curries, rice, and all kinds of foods there had no harmful affect on my skin or the polluted air of New Delhi!!!! I ended up having a holiday of a life time!!!!!!!

Comment from: D1977, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I've been researching so many different things online. One of my close friends recommended infrared therapy. He has one in his living room, I've used it about 15 times so far and the symptoms have really subsided. He gave me the information where he purchased it, I think I may need to buy one of my own.

Comment from: Nzales, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

My rash started with just a small red spot about the size of a dime on my forearm. The itching became worse and rash began to spread and turn more red. The itching became unbearable and was waking me up at night. I tried every home remady I could find. The only thing that helped was putting a hot hair dryer on it. I finally went to doctor and he did a biopsy. Eczema! Used a cream called econazole nitrate and it finally begin to fade and itch much less. This lasted six weeks. The only thing I can think of is that I would pick up my dog with this arm and could be an allergic reaction.

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the lungs (bronchioles). Asthma may be caused by genes and environmental factors. Asthma causes wheez...learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?