Viewer Comments: Eczema - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

...
Comment from: MDM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I just developed Dishydrotic Eczema last year at age 67 on my hands after using a new pair of gloves at the gym when I use hand weights. I developed severe dry skin that no cream could help at all. I had some outbreak of a red itchy rash followed by dry, cracking skin. A cortisone cream brought relief from the rash. Over the winter, it was not much of an issue but came back in the spring and summer. Stress is a factor as I had flare-ups while getting ready for trips (we had several trips to take over a 3 month period). Surprisingly, one of our trips was on a scuba diving trip to the Bahamas and my hands improved within 2 days so that I no longer had to use gloves while showering. I plan to bring back jugs of seawater with me. I've tried to duplicate that by using Masada Dead Sea Salts but my initial try dried my hands out too much. It is now September and my hands are much better so I am going to try it again. My big problem is delicate skin that cracks easily and is very dry. I can sleep with a thick coating of a petroleum-jelly product and within minutes of getting up my hands are drying out again. One product I have had luck with is "Udderly Smooth" Udder Cream made for cows that I found at the drug store. To summarize, for me it is 1) seasonal 2) associated with stress 3) saltwater cleared it up immediately.

Comment from: mickysfrnd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am having a terrible time with my hands and feet. The itching from my eczema is unbearable. The soles of my feet have numerous cracks as if someone has taken a razor blade to them. The palms of my hands are peeling and cracking as well. Also, the tips of my ring fingers are cracking. The dermatologist gave me some ointment and urea cream. It seems to comfort the affected areas but not treat them.

Comment from: Tansa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have suffered chronic eczema for over 30 years and tried anything and everything on the market. Needless to say nothing worked only gave slight relief to the constant burning and itchy skin. After I turned 40 my skin started to get a lot worse, I went to allergy specialists which were a waste of time. It wasn't until I was referred to a naturopath that focused on food intolerances and advised me to have a blood test.. The test came back that I was intolerant to dairy, gluten, corn and eggs. I had to eliminate these foods for 6 months and then slowly introduce them again. I did not start to see any improvement in my skin until after around 5 months. After one month of following this diet my skin started to really flare up but they did warn me that it could get worse before it gets better. It has now been 8 months and my skin is like baby skin. I have my life and sanity back. Anyone that suffers chronic eczema knows how debilitating it can be. To anyone out there suffering there is a cure what I have learned is that you must work from the inside first and there are triggers you just need to find what food it is and also focus on gut health.

Comment from: Camilla, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had eczema for most of my life. I am 26 and I started using Eucerin lotion, and Cetpahil.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I have eczema patches on my legs. Steroids have only made the areas smoother but the redness has remained. Visits to specialists several years ago ended with a verdict of "Blame your mum, it's hereditary." Recently, I developed a patch on my forehead. With the sunny weather upon us I was using sunscreen. I was pleased to find that it didn't just avoid sunburn but the red patch disappeared. I decided to try it twice a day on my leg patches. It's only been a week but they seem to be fading.

Comment from: Stormie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 30

The most effective help I have found (on suggestion of my Dr.) is to NOT use soap, but to use DOVE for bathing. It has proven to be very effective for me. The problem has 'gone away' within the first week of stopping the use of SOAP.

Comment from: Ictchy In Seattle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had eczema my entire life. I am 29 years old now and it seems to be getting worse. It is spreading to new spots on my body and the scaling and redness is much worse. I have found that cutting out Gluten and Dairy has helped.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have discoid eczema which starts as small red spots then becomes big red wheals and after 24hours becomes a bigger area partly red but mostly a black bruise. Steroid creams do not seem to help but moisture creams do. I'm usually so itchy and hot that I cannot sleep.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Causes

What causes your eczema to flare up?

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.