Viewer Comments: Eczema - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your Eczema?

Comment from: Hopeful mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My two young daughters have eczema. My older one has it the worst. I used to take the doctor's advice for moisturizer and steroid cream treatment. Then I realized from doing my research in terms of diet intake and ingredients in most of the lotion may heighten the eczema flare up. Increasing fruits and vegetables and daily fluid intake will definitely help. High heat cooking of any food should be avoided. Best is steam approach the food. Beef and shellfish could be the culprit, too especially for food allergy. Anyway, each case could be very different from others.

Comment from: jmmv, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I was diagnosed with eczema when I was about 20. I was at college and had seen the medical center for the rash that wouldn't go away. When I went home, mom scheduled an appointment with our family doctor to verify, and both said it made sense - I had dealt with "heat rash" since I was little in my arm, elbow, and knee pits. I've since learned that a little powder in those areas helps, and my breakouts seem to stay fairly centralized on the palms of my hands. They will generally start between my ring fingers and the middle and pinkies, regardless of whether I am wearing jewelry or not. A good hand-washing and making sure I keep moist but dry (as in lotioned, but not wet) will tend to keep things in check, but occasionally - as I'm in the Army - that's not always feasible. I always have a small tube of Triamcinalone available, and usually within 2 or 3 days of application, it'll go away again. There have been two or three memorable breakouts since I was diagnosed - the most painful on my palms. I woke up one morning, and they were both red, you could see the little blisters under the surface of the skin. It hurt to hold or touch anything, and a few blisters in the crevices between the fingers had surfaced so it had the "wet" look going for it too. I was in Iraq at the time, so the dust and the high dry temperatures didn't help a whole lot, but after a slightly stronger ointment and a week's time, all better again.

Comment from: rumarjay, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 25

Our son has had eczema since he was two years old. We've tried several topical treatments and have seen several dermatologists. We realized stress would cause his eczema to flare up. He now has only a small area (quarter in diameter) on his ankle. We bought an aloe vera plant which we would cut a piece off and rub directly on the eczema spot. This has really helped him. Hope it helps someone else.

Comment from: Lyly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I've been suffering from eczema for almost four years now. It started from my hands and damaged my nails, and suspiciously, I already have scalp eczema. I have already consulted three dermatologists already. I just decided to stop my medication until the last doctor said that this is chronic and runs with the family. I have a brother with hand eczema. The doctor also told me that the ointment provides only temporary relief and that the symptoms will keep coming back. Stress is also another factor. Now, I'm letting the skin peel off and cleanse itself because I'm pretty tired of buying creams and they're pretty expensive. I'm still searching for long term relief to treat this problem permanently.

Comment from: cb, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I am a woman of 48 years and was diagnosed with hypertension and my primary started me on medications. I gained 70lbs and my face, hands, feet broke out and the ointments, antihistamines didn't work so she sent me to a dermatologist who then sent me to an allergist who didn't find anything wrong. I've been tested for lupus twice use. My face feels like leather and one day spoke with a doctor friend who asked about my hypertension meds he informed me of ace inhibitors causing people with eczema or psoriasis to flare up. I called my primary stopped the meds and now I have some relief, but I Still don't feel cute because of all the damage that's been done. Always check the side effects of your medication first.

Comment from: mel3, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My husband and children got eczema, however my youngest daughter who is 9, has it worse than any of the others. She gets it behind her knees and in the bends of her arms. She mostly gets it in the winter months. The creams the doctors gave her did not work for her at all. We didn't know what else to do. A family member suggested we use A&D ointment, the kind you use to treat diaper rash and it really worked. So instead of lotions, we just grab a few boxes of A&D. I have to rub her legs and arms down with the ointment before bed and before school. It takes the itching, the redness and dryness away. She is in complete comfort using A&D over the creams that were prescribed.

Comment from: bniyyoung, 65-74 Female Published: January 26

I am a woman in my sixties and it is interesting that the condition you describe as eczema happened to me as a child on my hands and feet. I had no idea what it was but it began at age ten and grew worse in our cold snowy NY winters. It returned every year for 10 years. It then disappeared. You can imagine my dismay when it returned at age 30. It was less intense but lasted 10 years once again. At age 50 only small traces returned on my hands only and disappeared completely after a few months. Doctors seem to know nothing about it and topical treatments were used but nothing helped. Summer was the only thing that brought relief.

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the lungs (bronchioles). Asthma may be caused by genes and environmental factors. Asthma causes wheez...learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?