Viewer Comments: Eczema - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your Eczema?

Comment from: allgirl41, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I only started suffering from eczema as an adult about 4 years ago. It started with a rash on the back of my knees. I didn't know what it was so I treated it with Sulphur (old-fashioned I know) When I say sulphur, I mean Sulphur-8 which is a Black hair care product used to achieve a healthy scalp. It worked. Then it started to appear as dry, leathery patches on my neck and under my breasts. I cleared that with constant and very generous slathering of Vaseline. This time which is the 3rd time it has appeared in the last 4 years it came on with a VENGEANCE! Rashes broke out all over my body. I was itching uncontrollably. I am now treating it with cocoa butter. I wash with a cocoa butter shower gel, and I moisturize at least 3 times a day. My skin can dry out in a matter of minutes. The rashes have stopped, now my skin just itches. But it's under control. I meditate now because I recognized that stress is the trigger for the itchy eczema. I purchased air-conditioning because I recognized that indoor heat/sweat is the trigger for the dry leathery eczema. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Angel, 45-54 Female Published: October 06

I'm 47 years old and I've lived with eczema all of my life (really it started when I was 4 months old). During childhood, my eczema was so bad I had scabs in every join. As I got older it got better but has not gone away. I've tried all there is to try and the only thing that seems to work to a certain point has been creams and ointments with cortizone. Stress does make it worse and when the climate changes my skin also gets worse. Now that I am getting close to menopause my eczema is getting as bad as it was when I was a child. Also, because I have been using creams and ointments with cortozone for so many years, my sking now is so thin that I mark easily. Years ago, I had the most wonderful 2 weeks in my life. My eczema did not bother me at all. What happened? I was in Jamaica! It was the first time I went in sea water. At first I believed that my skin would burn with the contact of salt water but that was not the case. With in a few days, my skin was normal like every body. I had to put sun screen protection but no itching at all. Best of luck to does that suffer from this problem.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I am 59 and have suffered with eczema my entire life. I have tried everything to get rid of it. I too have gotten completely cleared by cortisone shots, with the rash coming back worse afterwards. I only use skin cleanser, not soap, special laundry detergent, only wear cotton, can't take ace inhibitors or calcium channel blockers because it breaks me out (painfully). I take allergy shots but just read here it won't help eczema (bummer) I am going to investigate the PUVA light. I have been having a little luck with spreading melted soy candle wax on the itchy areas. I wish someone could help!

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the lungs (bronchioles). Asthma may be caused by genes and environmental factors. Asthma causes wheez...learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>
Food Allergy
Food Allergy For someone with a food allergy, eating or swallowing even a tiny amount of a particular food can cause symptoms such as skin rash, nausea, vomiting, cramping, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?