Viewer Comments: Eczema - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

Comment from: Lyly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I've been suffering from eczema for almost four years now. It started from my hands and damaged my nails, and suspiciously, I already have scalp eczema. I have already consulted three dermatologists already. I just decided to stop my medication until the last doctor said that this is chronic and runs with the family. I have a brother with hand eczema. The doctor also told me that the ointment provides only temporary relief and that the symptoms will keep coming back. Stress is also another factor. Now, I'm letting the skin peel off and cleanse itself because I'm pretty tired of buying creams and they're pretty expensive. I'm still searching for long term relief to treat this problem permanently.

Comment from: cb, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I am a woman of 48 years and was diagnosed with hypertension and my primary started me on medications. I gained 70lbs and my face, hands, feet broke out and the ointments, antihistamines didn't work so she sent me to a dermatologist who then sent me to an allergist who didn't find anything wrong. I've been tested for lupus twice use. My face feels like leather and one day spoke with a doctor friend who asked about my hypertension meds he informed me of ace inhibitors causing people with eczema or psoriasis to flare up. I called my primary stopped the meds and now I have some relief, but I Still don't feel cute because of all the damage that's been done. Always check the side effects of your medication first.

Comment from: mel3, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My husband and children got eczema, however my youngest daughter who is 9, has it worse than any of the others. She gets it behind her knees and in the bends of her arms. She mostly gets it in the winter months. The creams the doctors gave her did not work for her at all. We didn't know what else to do. A family member suggested we use A&D ointment, the kind you use to treat diaper rash and it really worked. So instead of lotions, we just grab a few boxes of A&D. I have to rub her legs and arms down with the ointment before bed and before school. It takes the itching, the redness and dryness away. She is in complete comfort using A&D over the creams that were prescribed.

Comment from: bniyyoung, 65-74 Female Published: January 26

I am a woman in my sixties and it is interesting that the condition you describe as eczema happened to me as a child on my hands and feet. I had no idea what it was but it began at age ten and grew worse in our cold snowy NY winters. It returned every year for 10 years. It then disappeared. You can imagine my dismay when it returned at age 30. It was less intense but lasted 10 years once again. At age 50 only small traces returned on my hands only and disappeared completely after a few months. Doctors seem to know nothing about it and topical treatments were used but nothing helped. Summer was the only thing that brought relief.

Comment from: allgirl41, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I only started suffering from eczema as an adult about 4 years ago. It started with a rash on the back of my knees. I didn't know what it was so I treated it with Sulphur (old-fashioned I know) When I say sulphur, I mean Sulphur-8 which is a Black hair care product used to achieve a healthy scalp. It worked. Then it started to appear as dry, leathery patches on my neck and under my breasts. I cleared that with constant and very generous slathering of Vaseline. This time which is the 3rd time it has appeared in the last 4 years it came on with a VENGEANCE! Rashes broke out all over my body. I was itching uncontrollably. I am now treating it with cocoa butter. I wash with a cocoa butter shower gel, and I moisturize at least 3 times a day. My skin can dry out in a matter of minutes. The rashes have stopped, now my skin just itches. But it's under control. I meditate now because I recognized that stress is the trigger for the itchy eczema. I purchased air-conditioning because I recognized that indoor heat/sweat is the trigger for the dry leathery eczema. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Angel, 45-54 Female Published: October 06

I'm 47 years old and I've lived with eczema all of my life (really it started when I was 4 months old). During childhood, my eczema was so bad I had scabs in every join. As I got older it got better but has not gone away. I've tried all there is to try and the only thing that seems to work to a certain point has been creams and ointments with cortizone. Stress does make it worse and when the climate changes my skin also gets worse. Now that I am getting close to menopause my eczema is getting as bad as it was when I was a child. Also, because I have been using creams and ointments with cortozone for so many years, my sking now is so thin that I mark easily. Years ago, I had the most wonderful 2 weeks in my life. My eczema did not bother me at all. What happened? I was in Jamaica! It was the first time I went in sea water. At first I believed that my skin would burn with the contact of salt water but that was not the case. With in a few days, my skin was normal like every body. I had to put sun screen protection but no itching at all. Best of luck to does that suffer from this problem.

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Causes

What causes your eczema to flare up?

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.