Viewer Comments: Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?

Comment from: Nefertiti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I started having a rash on tops of my feet 4 years ago. I just figured was an allergic reaction to something. But it never went away and got worse over time. My dermatologist is very busy and I about gave up ever getting an appointment to see him. I did and they took biopsy from my ankle and later said I have (spongiotic dermatitis.) The medical term scared the heck out of me! I then found out it is severe eczema. Have been suffering with this for 5 years now.

Comment from: Patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have eczema and I suffer from itchy hands that become red and swollen areas and when scratched. Then blisters appear and breaks form scratching.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My eczema condition started 2 years ago as a small spot on the bottom of my foot near small toe. It itched like crazy. Doctor diagnosed it as fungus. I medicated it w/ Econazole antifungal cream for many months with little relief. It kept getting worse and spread to the entire outside of my foot and started to creep over to the top. I was told it was probably eczema and was given prescription strength cortisone crm. It helped a little for 5 to 6 months. It is still spreading & is now covering most of the top of my foot. Itching is mostly controlled with baby eczema cream or Allerest cream, but returns daily. It is worse when I have to wear shoes all day. This morning I noticed several small red rings at the border that would be the area near the ankle. My skin was bright purplish red & blotchy all over. I still don't know for sure what it is but this has been over 2 years with no answers or end in sight.

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>
Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

Eczema - Causes

What causes your eczema to flare up?

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.