Viewer Comments: Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eczema symptoms and signs?

Comment from: CeCe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Well I currently have scabies at the moment. I actually got it from the hospital where I work. I also have eczema as well, so it's been a struggle. But back to eczema: I've had it for 13 years and it sucks. I got it through my asthma medication as a little girl, and got worse from there. I have very severe eczema. I have it on my arms, armpits, hands, legs, ankles, neck, sides of my face and the tops of my feet as well. I have some oozing rashes and it's bad on my ankles. I found out three months ago I have a gluten sensitivity, so I was told it intensified behind that. I have to moisturize every 30-45 minutes, because I get so dry.

Comment from: friend, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I've been suffering this rash for 15 years. It started on my belly then progressed to my hands. It itches sometimes and flakes.

Comment from: prity, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 29

Doctors call it eczema, but my mother and I are still not sure of this because treatments are not working. We're not sure if she may have another allergic problem. She has suffered for 11 years with this. Her skin is cracked and dry and the skin on the palms of her hands is cracked like heels.

Comment from: 75 or over Male Published: November 20

Severe itching at the back of the neck and oozing of fluid at times.

Comment from: Pat, Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have been suffering with scaly dark or reddish patches recurring in the creased and uncreased areas of my body extremities, i.e., in my arm pits, inside of backs of knees, etc. for over nine years now. Now it's all over my back, my chest and breast area, around my ears that often cracks and bleed, my face, neck -- just all over. The severity of the breakouts varies. I must avoid heat and extreme cold conditions, to include stress. Sleeping at night is very difficult due to itching and sweating. My doctor tells me that it "may" be nummular dermatitis (chronic eczema) or parapsoriasis. He prescribed an ointment and wants to follow up in a year for a second skin biopsy.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have eczema on my shins in the same spots. It started after I fell ten years ago. My shins got scratched up really bad and the side walk took some skin off. Two weeks later got a rash that itched so bad I had to scratch it. Now both my shins are covered from under my knee to above my ankles. I can't find anything to help it except for oral Prednizone. My doctor won't give it to me all the time. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: cat milk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have eczema on my thumbs and I am having the most horrible time getting it to fully clear up. Cortisone and A&D ointment help but when I take a shower or do dishes or especially when I am at work (veterinary technician) my thumbs get red and crack and itch really bad. Bandages don't help.

Comment from: gary, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

With my eczema, I have large red welts on my legs and back and they're oozing.

Comment from: Dom, Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

I have non-itching patches on body on body and extremities.

Comment from: TJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I get tiny little blisters all over the palms of my hands that itch terribly. Also, I have been getting welts around my neck area and my chest right above my breast.

Must Read Articles Related to Eczema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Contact Dermatitis
Contact Dermatitis Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin. Contact dermatitis is a localized rash or irritation of the skin caused by contact with a foreign substance.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eczema:

Eczema - Experience

Please describe your experience with eczema.

Eczema - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your eczema?

Eczema - Causes

What causes your eczema to flare up?