Viewer Comments: Edema - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Edema:

Edema - Cause

What was the cause of your edema?

Comment from: Bucra, (Patient) Published: May 30

COPD was the cause of my edema.

Comment from: wsmyth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Heart failure was the cause of my edema.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My facial edema caused by allergic reaction to a facial cleanser.

Comment from: JPH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I strained my ankle in aerobics when I was 18 years old, and it swelled badly and was very painful. The injury healed, but the edema never went away. I had a scan where I was injected with a radioactive liquid, then scanned several times over 2 hours. This showed that lymph fluid was not being returned back up my leg properly, but it was not a bad enough case to try risky surgical repair of the lymph valve or vessels. I am now 41, and it has been gradually getting worse over the years. It is now permanently swollen, even when I wake up in the morning, and I've given up wearing skirts because I got fed up with people asking what was wrong with my foot and ankle all the time! Would love to know if anyone had similar problem and found a 'cure'.

Must Read Articles Related to Edema

Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis Cirrhosis is a chronic (ongoing, long-term) disease of the liver. It means damage to the normal liver tissue that keeps this important organ from working as it ...learn more >>
Congestive Heart Failure
Congestive Heart Failure The heart is a pump that works together with the lungs. It pumps blood in two ways. Heart failure is a serious condition, but it can be managed. It pumps ...learn more >>
Pulmonary Hypertension
Pulmonary Hypertension Pulmonary hypertension is an abnormally high pressure in the pulmonary arteries leading from the heart to the lungs. Primary pulmonary hypertension has no under...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Edema:

Edema - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your edema?