Elbow Injury Prevention
The following tips may prevent elbow problems or injuries.
General prevention tips
- Wear your seat belt when you travel in a motor vehicle.
- Do not use alcohol or other drugs before participating in sports or when operating a motor vehicle or other equipment.
- Don't carry objects that are too heavy.
- Use a step stool. Do not stand on chairs or other unsteady objects.
- Wear protective gear during sports or recreational activities, such as roller-skating or soccer. Supportive splints may reduce your risk for injury.
- Stretch before and after physical exercise, sports, or recreational activities to warm up your muscles.
- Do stretchingand range-of-motion (ROM) exercises with your fingers and wrist to prevent stiffening of the tendons that affect your elbows. Gently bend, straighten, and rotate your wrist. If you have any pain, stop the exercises.
- Use the correct techniques (movements) or positions during activities so that you do not strain your muscles.
- Avoid overusing your arm doing repeated movements that can injure your bursaor tendons. In daily routines or hobbies, examine activities in which you make repeated arm movements.