Elbow Dislocation (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
While the patient is being discharged from the doctor's office or emergency department, they will be instructed to follow up with a bone doctor (orthopedist), usually within 24-48 hours.
Wear your splint during the time after discharge and up until the orthopedist office visit. Do not move the elbow. Elevate the elbow as much as possible, and ice it to reduce swelling. Do not apply ice directly to the elbow; wrap the ice in something such as a towel to prevent skin damage. Some clinicians recommend a series of about 15 minutes of "ice" followed by 15 minutes without ice repeatedly.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/1/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Elbow Dislocation
Pain and Injury Resources
- 18 Tips to Keep Your Joints Healthy
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Are You Taking Too Many Pain Meds?
- How Well Are You Living With AFib?
- How Well Are You Managing Your MS?
- Soothe Your Child's Cold or Flu