Viewer Comments: Electric Shock - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Electric Shock:

Electric Shock - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your electric shock?

Comment from: Mark Barnes, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I was working with 14000 volts when a coworker came in contact by touching a neutral with energized line. He and I received injuries. I have vision and hearing issues, muscle spasms, numbness in both arms and hands; seizures and shortness of breath. My memory is also affected. I worked eight months with these symptoms not knowing it was caused by the flash and electrical shock. It's been two years and symptoms still exists.

Comment from: unable to walk, 3-6 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

As a child I stuck a screwdriver into a socket. My hand turned black, but it was more like bruising than burn. I was unable to walk for couple of weeks and my body was extremely sore. Luckily, I eventually recovered.

Comment from: RenoMom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 21

My daughter placed tweezers in an electrical socket when she was years old. Her hand was black & very swollen. Being a first time mother, I did not seek medical attention.

Comment from: twodalesdad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I was electrocuted 34 years ago. I was clinically dead for 45 minutes and thanks to the great team of firemen/paramedics and the team in the ER, I was able to leave the hospital within three days. I worked for a power company which was lax with safety! I received 6500 volts through my left hand which exited through both feet. The jolt through me 100 feet across the parking lot of the restaurant where we were installing a fuse cabinet.

Must Read Articles Related to Electric Shock

Automated External Defibrillators (AED)
Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are used when a person has had a heart attack or sudden cardiac arrest. It is a machine that instructs the user through...learn more >>
Lightning Strike
Lightning Strike Lightning strikes can injure a person in a number of different ways aside from a direct strike. They include:
  • contact strikes,
  • side splash,...
learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Electric Shock:

Electric Shock - Experience

Please share your experience with electric shock.

Electric Shock - Causes

What was the cause of an electric shock you experienced?

Electric Shock - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with electric shock?