Viewer Comments: Electric Shock - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Electric Shock:

Electric Shock - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your electric shock?

Comment from: Todd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I accidentally shocked myself plugging in my microwave. I developed chest pain shortly thereafter and called my doctor, who advised me to go to the emergency room (ER). At the ER, I was given an EKG which was described as beautiful and perfect. They then put me in a room. I waited for an hour and was given discharge papers with no further examination. My chest still hurts.

Comment from: Lucky mama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

After I got an electric shock, I got my blood pressure checked, temperature checked and the nurse gave me Tylenol for pain. Meanwhile I'm having tingling of my hands, arm, neck, leg foot and abdominal pain and slight pressure to the throat.

Comment from: Fly girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was working on a flight, about to make a hot chocolate for a passenger. When I touched the hot water button, a severe electrical shock went through me, leaving me trembling, with chest pain, a racing heart rate, and difficulty talking for a few seconds. I was sent for medical care, ECG, blood work, urinalysis, skin check for burns. I was left with my right arm stinging and prickling and a small red burn area inside my forearm. It disappeared the next day. Doctor said I was very lucky. I was told 400 hertz of electricity, went into one arm, across my chest, and out my right arm. That was three years ago. I am still paranoid.

Comment from: murdoc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I was electrocuted in Oct 2011. I have constant pain in my back muscles and arms the level of pain ranges from 7 to 10 at times it like knots in the middle of my back and or my arms are always hurting I got hit with 277 volts and it burned my little finger. My question is will the pain ever go away as long as I take the pain meds I am trying to live a normal life but what once I did in hours sometimes takes a day to like mowing grass simple stuff I been to see 4 different neurologists.

Comment from: lee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I was electrocuted in 2012 on the job. I got hit by 460v in my right hand, which started swelling within seconds. It went in my hand and out through my left foot. I went to hospital to get checked out. So far, I've been seen by three different doctors and have surgery done on my right hand in hopes that I will feel good as new again but no luck. Now, I'm stuck with constant pain in my hand and it also feels numb from time to time. I am sometimes not able to hold anything without my hand shaking, which causes me to drop things.

Comment from: Trevor Wright, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

21 years ago, I was shocked by 240 volts through my left ear lobe from an active wire dangling from a ceiling. The current path travelled through my brain and exited out my left eye. Only a short path but it has proved difficult to rehabilitate myself to the level I'm at now. I was treated by reinstating my eye, making sure I didn't have any irregular heart beat and testing my brain for damage. I gained a fractured skull from the contraction and also minor brain damage, which has affected me a bit.

Comment from: Soozi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

In December, 2002 I was electrocuted. I was attached to 240 volts for 2.5 to 3 minutes. I felt my heart and lungs stop within seconds of being connected. When I hit the ground my heart restarted, but I did not breathe again until I was disconnected by my son. The pain was excruciating. The electricity traveled through my left hand, down the left side of my body and out through my left foot causing damage as it went. I have left-sided weakness, a mild brain injury, severe depression, constant pain and I still relive the event. I went from an active life to one where I struggle to do many things because I fatigue very quickly. I was initially admitted into hospital where I was observed in the cardiac unit for 48 hours and then discharged. A few days later as the exit wound on my foot became larger a friend took me back to the burns unit of the hospital where I was treated as an outpatient for two weeks until the wound became quite large. I was admitted to hospital and the wound was excised and closed.

Comment from: billb, 75 or over Male Published: July 31

I was checking out at a self-serve lane in Walmart, and I touched the screen with my middle finger and I got shocked pretty hard, not static but SHOCKED! I got dizzy and a little dazed then told the attendant cashier. He turned it off and Ii went to another register.

Must Read Articles Related to Electric Shock

Automated External Defibrillators (AED)
Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are used when a person has had a heart attack or sudden cardiac arrest. It is a machine that instructs the user through...learn more >>
Lightning Strike
Lightning Strike Lightning strikes are weather-related medical emergencies. Lightning is consistently among the top 4 weather-related killers.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Electric Shock:

Electric Shock - Experience

Please share your experience with electric shock.

Electric Shock - Causes

What was the cause of an electric shock you experienced?

Electric Shock - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with electric shock?