Viewer Comments: Electric Shock - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Electric Shock:

Electric Shock - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your electric shock?

Comment from: murdoc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I was electrocuted in Oct 2011. I have constant pain in my back muscles and arms the level of pain ranges from 7 to 10 at times it like knots in the middle of my back and or my arms are always hurting I got hit with 277 volts and it burned my little finger. My question is will the pain ever go away as long as I take the pain meds I am trying to live a normal life but what once I did in hours sometimes takes a day to like mowing grass simple stuff I been to see 4 different neurologists.

Comment from: Trevor Wright, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

21 years ago, I was shocked by 240 volts through my left ear lobe from an active wire dangling from a ceiling. The current path travelled through my brain and exited out my left eye. Only a short path but it has proved difficult to rehabilitate myself to the level I'm at now. I was treated by reinstating my eye, making sure I didn't have any irregular heart beat and testing my brain for damage. I gained a fractured skull from the contraction and also minor brain damage, which has affected me a bit.

Comment from: Soozi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

In December, 2002 I was electrocuted. I was attached to 240 volts for 2.5 to 3 minutes. I felt my heart and lungs stop within seconds of being connected. When I hit the ground my heart restarted, but I did not breathe again until I was disconnected by my son. The pain was excruciating. The electricity traveled through my left hand, down the left side of my body and out through my left foot causing damage as it went. I have left-sided weakness, a mild brain injury, severe depression, constant pain and I still relive the event. I went from an active life to one where I struggle to do many things because I fatigue very quickly. I was initially admitted into hospital where I was observed in the cardiac unit for 48 hours and then discharged. A few days later as the exit wound on my foot became larger a friend took me back to the burns unit of the hospital where I was treated as an outpatient for two weeks until the wound became quite large. I was admitted to hospital and the wound was excised and closed.

Comment from: billb, 75 or over Male Published: July 31

I was checking out at a self-serve lane in Walmart, and I touched the screen with my middle finger and I got shocked pretty hard, not static but SHOCKED! I got dizzy and a little dazed then told the attendant cashier. He turned it off and Ii went to another register.

Comment from: Mark Barnes, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I was working with 14000 volts when a coworker came in contact by touching a neutral with energized line. He and I received injuries. I have vision and hearing issues, muscle spasms, numbness in both arms and hands; seizures and shortness of breath. My memory is also affected. I worked eight months with these symptoms not knowing it was caused by the flash and electrical shock. It's been two years and symptoms still exists.

Comment from: unable to walk, 3-6 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

As a child I stuck a screwdriver into a socket. My hand turned black, but it was more like bruising than burn. I was unable to walk for couple of weeks and my body was extremely sore. Luckily, I eventually recovered.

Comment from: RenoMom, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 21

My daughter placed tweezers in an electrical socket when she was years old. Her hand was black & very swollen. Being a first time mother, I did not seek medical attention.

Comment from: twodalesdad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I was electrocuted 34 years ago. I was clinically dead for 45 minutes and thanks to the great team of firemen/paramedics and the team in the ER, I was able to leave the hospital within three days. I worked for a power company which was lax with safety! I received 6500 volts through my left hand which exited through both feet. The jolt through me 100 feet across the parking lot of the restaurant where we were installing a fuse cabinet.

Must Read Articles Related to Electric Shock

Automated External Defibrillators (AED)
Automated External Defibrillators (AED) Automated external defibrillators (AEDs) are used when a person has had a heart attack or sudden cardiac arrest. It is a machine that instructs the user through...learn more >>
Electrical Injuries
Wilderness: Electrical Injuries Electrical injury occurs when an electric current runs through a portion of the body, usually from either a man-made source or lightning. The outside of the per...learn more >>