Electroencephalography (EEG) (cont.)
The patient will be given instructions when the EEG is scheduled.
- If the patient routinely takes seizure medication to prevent seizures, antidepressants, or stimulants, he or she may be asked to stop taking these medications 1 to 2 days before the test.
- The patient may be told not to consume caffeine before the test.
- The patient should avoid using hair styling products (hairspray or gel) on the day of the exam.
- It is prudent to have someone take the patient to the EEG location, especially if he or she has been asked to stop taking seizure medications.
- If the patient is having a sleep EEG, he or she may be asked to stay awake the night before the exam.
Must Read Articles Related to Electroencephalography (EEG)
Cerebral palsy (CP) is an umbrella term for a group of disorders affecting body movement, balance, and posture. Loosely translated, cerebral palsy means "brain ...learn more >>
Coma is a state of unconsciousness in which the patient does not consiously respond to the environment and stimuli. Causes of coma include head trauma, bleeding...learn more >>
Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea
There are two types of sleep apnea, obstructive sleep apnea (the most common type) and central sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can be caused by many factors such as st...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Electroencephalography (EEG):