Viewer Comments: Emphysema - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Treatment

What was the treatment for your emphysema?

Comment from: von, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have all the symptoms of emphysema and chronic bronchitis; chest tightness and back pain, coughing blood, shortness of breath when I exercise, and always tired. Overinflated lungs is all that shows on x-ray but I cannot get diagnosed with anything, and cannot get the right medication. My symptoms get worse when I go the city with the smog and near the ocean and unflued gas heaters and cooking smells. So as you can imagine, everyone tells me it is in my head; definitely not. I have been perfectly fine up until 4 years ago when all this started. I don't know where to turn to next. I had bronchoscopy, CT chest scan, MRI of back (for the pain); my symptoms just are not getting better. I have seen 3 respiratory doctors and all say there is nothing and I cannot work out what's happening.

Comment from: Patty Greenberg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I am 55 years young. I was diagnosed this past May. I quit smoking the day I found out.

Must Read Articles Related to Emphysema

Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Bacterial pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Pneumonia i...learn more >>
Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with emphysema.

Emphysema - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your emphysema?