Viewer Comments: Emphysema - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your emphysema?

Comment from: Waitress55, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have never smoked in my life and have just been diagnosed with emphysema. I did work in bars and restaurants when smoking was allowed since I was 18. I am now 50. My mom smoked and my husband smokes but no longer in the house. I have so many questions. I'm being set up with a pulmonary doctor by my primary doctor.

Comment from: carol, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 21

my husband gave up smoking 20 years ago. He has had a lot of chest infections this winter and now has oxygen at home. He is very tired all the time and has deteriorated a lot. Unfortunately he also has chronic kidney failure, high blood pressure, and atherosclerosis. He is very down and very negative and I worry a lot. He is only 68.

Comment from: yayalove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I am very new to quitting smoking it's only been a week for me, however what's funny is that I am now having shortness of breath I plan to never pick up a cigarette again I don't know if it's a mind thing or what but I am very short of breath even when I am sleeping wow! Maybe I waited too late.

Must Read Articles Related to Emphysema

Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the lungs (bronchioles). Asthma may be caused by genes and environmental factors. Asthma causes wheez...learn more >>
Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Treatment

What was the treatment for your emphysema?

Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with emphysema.