Viewer Comments: Emphysema - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your emphysema?

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I started with shortness of breath and found out I had mild emphysema which scared me bad. My doctor put me on oxygen at night and I do my nebulizers usually once or twice a day. It seems to be worse in the mornings and then I'm ok throughout the day but I'm still really scared. I know that emphysema is a progressive disease and it's different with everybody. I just hope I have more time than I think.

Comment from: psmaxster, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

About a year ago I started coughing and coughed up a lot of mucus. I went through a series of tests, including PFT (pulmonary function test), 6-minute walk, CT scan, and x-rays of chest. Pulmonologist also did biopsy of sections of my lungs. It was negative for cancer. I was also receiving iron infusion because of my low energy. Iron levels are now up to normal. I have started exercising at least 20 minutes per day, trying for 30. My pulmonologist is very terse. It was only during my last consultation that he mentioned in passing that I had emphysema. I have since informed myself of the condition, and have concluded I might die an early death. I am 74, but not suffering from dementia and have no illnesses for the past 8 years. I have had flu shot and pneumonia shot. I cannot bear the thought that I might die in 5 years. My wife will suffer terribly without my being around.

Comment from: ellen, Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have severe emphysema with 16 to 21% lung usage. I am on oxygen 24/7, I work full time. I am scared to death about dying. I am afraid of a lung transplant. I want to live. Lung reduction might help me. When I get a cold or the flu, like I did last week, my breathing is so bad, I get exhausted and scared. I smoked from 1959 to 1997. Of course I quit as soon as I was told what I was getting. Too late for me. I smoked 1-2 packs a day for all those years. My luck!! I got emphysema/C.O.P.D. Some people never get anything. I am single. No man would want a woman on oxygen. I am still considered young. I do not look my age at all, but, here I am slowly dying from cigarettes that I gave up over 13 years ago. I am scared ,scared, scared. I want to live. I also use spiriva, advair, nebulizer, oxygen fulltime and many other medications. I will pray for all of you and please pray for me. I want to live.

Comment from: TAW, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I was diagnosis with emphysema. I came down with bronchitis/ walking pneumonia in September and did not get over it until mid-November. I was not able to breathe the same. Now I have emphysema. Yes, I have smoked for twenty years. I was deployed to Iraq, between the sand storms and the burn pits, and the doctors do not want to hear about it.

Comment from: Clare B., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Since I have been diagnosed with emphysema I have walked for approximately 6 months every day amounting to 4 kilometers a day. It really has done wonders to my health. Please people, try this no expense treatment, it works. Don't give up, you will eventually feel the effects after a few months. Walk as briskly as possible.

Comment from: sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I have just been diagnosed with COPD/emphysema. I have a spontaneous pneumothorax and perforated my lung. I also developed pneumonia and I have not been right since. I'm only 46.

Comment from: Betty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I am an 88 year old female with moderately severe emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking as a teen in high school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked. I quit cold turkey on June 1, 1992, but the damage had been done. I was diagnosed with emphysema just a few years later. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their lives.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was a smoker for 30 years. I stopped about 14 years ago due to heart disease. I was told I have mild emphysema.

Must Read Articles Related to Emphysema

Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Treatment

What was the treatment for your emphysema?

Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with emphysema.