Viewer Comments: Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with emphysema.

Comment from: daughter who cares, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I am the caregiver and daughter of a patient who has emphysema. My mother is 78 and was diagnosed with this disease more than 10 years ago, but she still continues to smoke. Two of her 4 brothers have already died from the disease. Her 2 brothers who are still living (one older and one younger) both smoke and they also have the disease. All of them have been heavy smokers their entire life and they refuse to give up smoking. My mom and her brothers have to be on oxygen all night and the majority of the day and their quality of life is very minimal “ yet, they continue to smoke. They can't walk very well or do any activities that they once enjoyed doing and they still smoke. Right now my mother has deteriorated so much that she is on hospice. Her oxygen level is around 82 to 85% on most days. She is pretty much confined to the house and spends most of her time in her bedroom under oxygen. My father also had the disease and it weakened his heart to the point where he had a heart attack and passed away 14 years ago. He also was a smoker. It is very difficult for a loved one to see so many of their family members suffer from this disease, but to know they are so sick and they still smoke is almost unbearable. I have never smoked and never will, but I have been around second hand smoke for many years so there are times I wonder about my fate. If you have the disease and you are reading this please remember your loved ones are suffering too. Watching a person you love fade away is very heartbreaking. If you can break the habit of smoking do it for yourself and for those who love you.

Comment from: snapperlou, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I've had emphysema for four years. I am taking Spiriva and Advair. I started with oxygen at night, now all day long. Nothing seems to help. The minute I start to walk around the breathing gets bad. Even the oxygen doesn't seem to help.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I had a quadruple bypass 3 years ago. To make a long story short my cardiologist told me that I had the early signs of emphysema and that my heart was also slightly enlarged. I continued to smoke, but found myself increasingly fatigued. Simple things like walking down the street were very difficult. I have finally stopped smoking with help from the patch. I have not had a smoke for 14 days now and immediately felt the benefits of not smoking. It's not easy but I am determined to succeed. I want to feel good, and alive and energetic besides, I have a 10 month old grandson and I want to watch him grow up.

Comment from: sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have emphysema and have been told the lining of my lungs has gotten thicker.

Comment from: AussiPJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am 60 years old and and the end of November 2012 discovered by chance that I had high blood pressure, 160/120. I immediately treated it. The caridiologist told me I have aortic regurgitation and dilatation of the aortic valve. Yesterday after a scan I was told I have emphysema. I have always been fit, am vegetarian, have never smoked but have terrible stress after being robbed.

Comment from: Jen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I was diagnosed with emphysema in 2008, I have to be on oxygen 16 hours minimum. I have 27% lung function. I have lost count of the times that I have been hospitalized. I worked full time, but found it was getting too much for me, so I now have Wednesdays off and it's made the world of difference.

Comment from: Sagebrush, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Right after my 58th birthday I was informed by my doctor after having some chest X-rays that I had mild emphysema. I had smoked for 35 years. I kept smoking and started getting sick about 3 or 4 months later. I ended up in intensive care for six days in septic shock from double pneumonia and almost died.

Comment from: Caan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a long term smoker and I have just been diagnosed with this horrible disease. I first started to experience difficulty in breathing about 10months ago since then it has got progressively worse, I have come back from the hospital today where I was told that it is damaging the right side of my heart. I don't know if I can give up smoking even though it is putting me through this and if I do I am told I cannot repair the damage.

Must Read Articles Related to Emphysema

Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the learn more >>
Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Bacterial pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Pneumonia i...learn more >>
Bronchitis (Chronic)
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Treatment

What was the treatment for your emphysema?

Emphysema - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your emphysema?