Viewer Comments: Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with emphysema.

Comment from: deepal, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My father is a physician and 68 years old. He has been smoking since he was in medical college and now for 2 years, he has been diagnosed with emphysema. He didn't share it with anyone, but as a daughter and as I am a physiotherapist myself, I forced him to get x-ray chest done. It was then that I came to know. He is having cold and cough almost all the days since 2 years. He is practicing and doing all the activities and has a healthy lifestyle, but due to coughing, at night he is not able to sleep properly and have to sit up many times. This makes me and my mother very worried and we feel very bad but helpless. He is not ready to stop smoking though he has reduced the amount he smokes. I can't see him suffering and get worried about future as it is progressive. He is doctor himself so I can't tell him anything as he knows the consequences, but I am worried and caring daughter.

Comment from: JSC, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

I am 28 years old and the daughter to my mother who is 63 and has mild/moderate emphysema. I have needed to find any information possible on the treatment of this disease as frankly I find watching my mum suffer everyday just sometimes too much to bear. She found out 3 years ago about her disease. I feel much is kept 'hush hush' from me as I know she doesn't want me to worry. She was hospitalized once, released and still continued to smoke not taking it very seriously and then a year later found herself in the same position again and it was the scariest thing of my life!!! Finally after much emotional begging from me and my family and telling her I couldn't bear to watch her do this to herself she listened and stopped smoking. I knew she 'had' a chance to make a difference to stop smoking and then amazingly she did-cold turkey. She had smoked from had the age of 16 to 61 so I knew how difficult it would be for her-I have never been SO SO proud of her. I am so proud of her but I still have to deal with this and want to do anything to help her as our bond between mother and daughter means everything to me!! Your website has helped me so much and the phase 'it's not a death sentence but a disease to be treated' made my heart so much lighter.

Comment from: daughter who cares, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I am the caregiver and daughter of a patient who has emphysema. My mother is 78 and was diagnosed with this disease more than 10 years ago, but she still continues to smoke. Two of her 4 brothers have already died from the disease. Her 2 brothers who are still living (one older and one younger) both smoke and they also have the disease. All of them have been heavy smokers their entire life and they refuse to give up smoking. My mom and her brothers have to be on oxygen all night and the majority of the day and their quality of life is very minimal “ yet, they continue to smoke. They can't walk very well or do any activities that they once enjoyed doing and they still smoke. Right now my mother has deteriorated so much that she is on hospice. Her oxygen level is around 82 to 85% on most days. She is pretty much confined to the house and spends most of her time in her bedroom under oxygen. My father also had the disease and it weakened his heart to the point where he had a heart attack and passed away 14 years ago. He also was a smoker. It is very difficult for a loved one to see so many of their family members suffer from this disease, but to know they are so sick and they still smoke is almost unbearable. I have never smoked and never will, but I have been around second hand smoke for many years so there are times I wonder about my fate. If you have the disease and you are reading this please remember your loved ones are suffering too. Watching a person you love fade away is very heartbreaking. If you can break the habit of smoking do it for yourself and for those who love you.

Comment from: snapperlou, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I've had emphysema for four years. I am taking Spiriva and Advair. I started with oxygen at night, now all day long. Nothing seems to help. The minute I start to walk around the breathing gets bad. Even the oxygen doesn't seem to help.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I had a quadruple bypass 3 years ago. To make a long story short my cardiologist told me that I had the early signs of emphysema and that my heart was also slightly enlarged. I continued to smoke, but found myself increasingly fatigued. Simple things like walking down the street were very difficult. I have finally stopped smoking with help from the patch. I have not had a smoke for 14 days now and immediately felt the benefits of not smoking. It's not easy but I am determined to succeed. I want to feel good, and alive and energetic besides, I have a 10 month old grandson and I want to watch him grow up.

Comment from: sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have emphysema and have been told the lining of my lungs has gotten thicker.

Comment from: AussiPJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I am 60 years old and and the end of November 2012 discovered by chance that I had high blood pressure, 160/120. I immediately treated it. The caridiologist told me I have aortic regurgitation and dilatation of the aortic valve. Yesterday after a scan I was told I have emphysema. I have always been fit, am vegetarian, have never smoked but have terrible stress after being robbed.

Must Read Articles Related to Emphysema

Asthma
Asthma Asthma is a disease that affects the breathing passages of the lungs (bronchioles). Asthma may be caused by genes and environmental factors. Asthma causes wheez...learn more >>
Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Bronchitis
Bronchitis Bronchitis is acute or chronic inflammation of the air passages in the lungs. There are several viruses and bacteria that cause bronchitis. Exposure to pollutan...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Emphysema:

Emphysema - Treatment

What was the treatment for your emphysema?

Emphysema - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your emphysema?