Viewer Comments: Endometrial Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometrial Cancer:

Endometrial Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of endometrial cancer?

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was 63, and woke up one morning to spots of blood in my underwear. At that time, I had not had a period for seven years. A friend said to wait for a month, but mother had several bouts with different cancers, so I had a biopsy. A week later they said it was a 'low grade cancer' and I needed to see a specialist. I saw a specialist four days later, and 3 days after that, I had a hysterectomy. I was told it was a stage 1-A, not into the muscle or any other part of my abdomen. I did undergo chemo as an insurance policy. They tell me that I am cancer free!

Comment from: bentersmom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I went through menopause at the age of 47. I am now 55. I was at work and felt a discharge. I went to the restroom and noticed a slight discharge with some very small brown blood spotting. I waited a few weeks then called my OB/GYN and spoke to the nurse. She said don't worry about it till it happens again but I felt a heaviness in my pelvic area. I'm the back of my mind I knew something wasn't right. As it turns out, I had stage 1 grade 1 cancer. I had a robotic hysterectomy and thank goodness it did not spread.

Comment from: vberling, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I went through my life having only one or two periods a year. Then in January 2012 I had a period that never stopped. Unfortunately I didn't have insurance, so didn't see a doctor until May. She performed an aspiration biopsy and found per-cancerous cells. I then went in for a D&C, and the labs came back adenocarcinoma. I am scheduled for a full robotic hysterectomy on August 23, at which time they will see if it has spread. I'm only 45 and very scared.

Comment from: Intrepid, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had irregular and occasional vaginal bleeding long after menopause.

Comment from: zander225, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had a D&C in January for some light pink spotting. No cancer found. Two months later it all started again. This time they say FIGO Grade 2 endometrial cancer. I had some slight cramping but nothing else. I was faithful with yearly Paps, but apparently that only detects cervical cancer. I never knew that. I'm waiting for my oncology appointment next week.

Comment from: Momma girl, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

Mom is 84 with uterine cancer. She won't seek treatment.

Comment from: Kath, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had no symptoms at all. I was treated in the past for fibroids and endometriosis and this was discovered during a laparoscopy for a pain in my right side. Pap was negative. He did hysteroscopy and lap with a polyp removal (benign) and then told me I had stage 1 endometrial cancer. I went in for robotic assisted hysterectomy and the cancer was in one lymph node. I will be starting chemo. I was totally shocked.

Comment from: Kath, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have bleeding post-menopause. Eight months later I'm having with periods of heavy bleeding and I went back to the doctor and asked if normal and was told absolutely not. Had biopsy and diagnosed with stage I endometrial cancer. I feel blessed it's not worse. I should have known better and I should have gotten looked at a long time ago.

Comment from: oh no, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I noticed a spot of blood in the commode. My GYN did a sonogram and then hysteroscopy and it showed stage 1 cancer. I just had a hysterectomy and it came back at stage 11. I will need radiation.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was 58 and had my period until I was 56. Then nothing for almost 2 years and then I had some light pink discharge which then progressed to a watery discharge over a period of about 4 or 5 months. Most distinctive was an odor that was present even an hour after showering. I had a normal pap. I had an ultrasound which showed that the lining of my uterus was 40 times the normal thickness. 2 months later I had a total hysterectomy. That was 18 months ago and I feel good but I am anxious every time I go for follow-up. My cancer was a grade 3, which makes it more likely to reoccur.

Must Read Articles Related to Endometrial Cancer

Dilation and Curettage (D&C)
Dilation and Curettage (D&C) The dilation and curettage procedure (D&C). This is a save procedure that a woman may need to have performed for a variety of reasons such as irregular bleeding...learn more >>