Viewer Comments: Endometriosis - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Cause

What was the cause of your endometriosis?

Comment from: MOM, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Four years ago I went to the ER with terrible menstrual cramps and I was told I may have ovarian cysts. I was told to go see an OB/GYN and that they would need to rule out cancer properly diagnose me. I never went and now the pain during intercourse has gotten worse. I've been unable to get pregnant all these years I have pains when I ovulate and during sex.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a 33-year-old female who has been suffering from endometriosis since 19 or 20. I was diagnosed last year officially by laparoscopy but I have had severe cramping, ruptured cysts, back pain, leg pain bleeding through clothes, rectal pain, pain with urination and feeling like my insides were being ripped out. I have tried all the usual pain meds. I have recently started acupuncture and avoiding any cold liquids and a gluten-free diet.

Comment from: Staci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I've had intermittent but severe pain in my upper right side, and trips to the ER seemed to point to the gallbladder, but the symptoms would pass. Every possible gall bladder test was done along with blood work, sonogram, CT scan, and finally endoscopy. All my tests were normal. I was frustrated, in pain, and beginning to wonder if I were imagining things. I was referred to a surgeon who checked my records and examined me and found a mass under my ribcage right where I'd been saying the pain was. He said it was endometriosis.

Comment from: Dena85, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am 25 years old. I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 20 after going to the doctor non-stop for 2 years. I had the laparoscopy and had small endometrial implants throughout my pelvis and an adhesion holding my right ovary behind my vaginal canal. Now, 5 years later, I am in the same boat again. The pain is worse this time and not just with my period, but all the time. I get burning, stabbing, pulling, sore-like pains constantly and I have back pain and sciatica all the time especially if I have intercourse. I am being put on progesterone only birth control for 3 months to see if this helps the pain, otherwise I will have another laparoscopy after that. I was told to try to get pregnant and have been trying for over 3 months but cannot even stand to have intercourse anymore. Hoping this stuff can make it so we can at least try and surgery so that we can have another child...hopefully before my daughter turns 6.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: June 23

I'm 28 years old. I've been experiencing excruciating pain since the age of 13. Usually on the first day of menstrual cycle to the point where I couldn't attend school on that day. And if it came on at school I would have to leave. Midol, Aleve nothing would help the cramps. I would just ball up in a fetal position and cry. Later in life after getting off birth control it started back worst now to the point where I can't walk. I have to crawl to the bathroom. I asked the doctor for help they just brush me off like nothing's wrong. So now I have found a doctor that knows what I'm going through and going to send me for some test to try and see if there's an underlying problem like endometriosis because the last 2 years I've been trying to get pregnant and nothing happened yet. So then she tells me maybe I can't because of this problem.

Must Read Articles Related to Endometriosis

Female Sexual Problems
Female Sexual Problems Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>
Infertility
Infertility Infertility affects about 6.1 million people in the United States, about 10% of men and women of reproductive age. A fertility specialist is usually an obstetri...learn more >>
Laparoscopy
Laparoscopy Laparoscopy is a less invasive form of surgery where surgeons make tiny incisions and insert tiny instruments and a camera into the incision to view internal or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your endometriosis?

Endometriosis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your endometriosis?