Viewer Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of endometriosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms?

I experience the worst pain during and after intimacy the pain is sharp and deep I can feel it in my abdomen in my lower back and sometimes in my rectum. From there the pain shoots up and I can not walk I end of in the fetal position for hours until the pain subsides enough for me to move. I have had a fibroid removed 8 months ago and these pains have gotten worse since. I am in the process of speaking with my Doctor about my options. I am 30 years old and this is affecting my love live I have to avoid or turn down sex in fear of the onset of pain that will follow if I do engage myself.

Comment from: drewbaby08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am 21 years old and I have been having stomach and back pain for about 4 years. For the first couple, I didn't know what it was, as my pain was in several areas around my abdomen. I had a ton of (huge, expensive) tests done and the result: nothing, everything looked great and I got a lot of weird looks from doctors and nurses wondering why I had them done. My doctor subscribed me on birth control to help with my pain. It was both during and in between periods. Since last February my pain has been pretty extreme. I ended up with a UTI pretty frequently while I was at school so I talked to a doctor (not my regular doctor at the time) and he suspected Endometriosis. I was really nervous and scared because I didn't know what it was but all I knew is that it didn't sound good. So I consulted my doctor back home and she agreed and since I have had to switch pills at least 4 times, she was getting concerned. I have a heating pad that I warm up every single night because I am constantly in pain. I had a diagnostic laparoscopy in November 2011 and they did find it.

Comment from: sssss, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I have endometriosis and I have intense back pain and pain during menstrual periods.

Comment from: Shanna M., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

My first symptoms was painful cycles that worsened and became cysts, tumors, precancerous cervix, hysterectomy & other procedures. I'm 34 now and I'm still having problems.

Comment from: Annie17, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am 44 years old with no history of abnormal bleeding or menstrual cramps. My last cycle lasted 10 days which is abnormal seeing that my cycle normally lasts 3 days. My last pap was normal but my doctor has referred me for an ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy because I have noticed some clotting during this cycle. I am terrified of what my diagnosis could be.

Comment from: Ucantcme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I started with painful menstruation at a young age but then about 15 years ago lost weight very quickly, had bad stomach cramps and felt like I had the flu. After being diagnosed with mental illness, constipation and other conditions by doctors that could not find an answer I started to have cysts rupture and internal bleeding. My gyno put me on Lupron injections which just increased the cysts. Again, my gyno refused to believe that I could have cysts while I was getting the injections, until I was hospitalized for internal bleeding again (and cysts which had not yet ruptured). I was then told that I had endometriosis and that it caused the ligaments holding my uterus to weaken resulting in my uterus falling into a right angle. A new gyno told me this was impossible and I must have misunderstood. At this time I have an intense grinding pain at the tip of my tailbone, my menstruation has stopped completely and I cannot do anything but manage to get myself to work and back home. It has been four and a half years since the tailbone pain. I did have endoscopic surgery twice in the beginning and was advised that the endometriosis is so deep and in such sensative areas that it cannot be removed. I was told I am just going to have to learn to live with it. I am prescribed 150 mcg Fentynal(duragesic patches) changed every 48 hours, Magnacet, sleeping meds and nuvigil. I can no longer attempt to find help and feel like giving up. I am 44 so the chances of ever having children or getting married have been stolen by this disease. I am tired. I have tried nerve blocks that did not help. The numbing for the nerve block did completely rid me of pain but only for a very short time. I cannot feel the local injection when I am told I should feel stinging. I need help.

Comment from: BUBCROnAZ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 38 years old and was diagnosed with endometriosis at 20.At that time the doctor I was seeing said, after my first laparoscopy, that I should highly consider a hysterectomy as soon as possible after finding several growths of endometriosis during my surgery. Well needless to say, I didn't believe that yet due to the fact I wanted children. So since then I had another laparoscopy at age 23 and could not get pregnant, so I went to a doctor who specialized in endometriosis and fertility. My doctor was amazing! I had to fast for 4 days, which was not fun, but she was able to find a hidden tumor and tons of growths all over my female areas and my intestines. I was then put immediately subject to steroid/hormone injections for a few months, and within 9 months after, I was pregnant with my now beautiful, 13-year-old daughter. Since then, I have had one more scope in 2003 and I am now having the same symptoms of painful intercourse and periods, and pain in my ovaries at random times. I am now ready to have that hysterectomy. I am saying all this to say, ladies, always get a 2nd opinion when you are dealing with a permanent solution to a possible temporary problem.

Must Read Articles Related to Endometriosis

Female Sexual Problems
Female Sexual Problems Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>
Infertility
Infertility Infertility affects about 6.1 million people in the United States, about 10% of men and women of reproductive age. A fertility specialist is usually an obstetri...learn more >>
Laparoscopy
Laparoscopy Laparoscopy is a less invasive form of surgery where surgeons make tiny incisions and insert tiny instruments and a camera into the incision to view internal or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your endometriosis?

Endometriosis - Cause

What was the cause of your endometriosis?

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.