Viewer Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your endometriosis?

Comment from: Norma Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I experienced a variety of pains. Some days I have sharp pains and other days just a dull aching pain. I was just diagnosed this morning so all the pain and discomfort is all just making sense now.

Comment from: jonigirl, 75 or over Female Published: July 01

From age 13 to 36, I was in horrible pain monthly. Vomiting, fainting, IBS. All I got from the medical community was that I was a drama queen. A miracle happened at 32! I got pregnant! But after a lovely baby boy was born I went right back to the same symptoms. My OB-GYN saw me and diagnosed endometriosis. I was taken in through emergency, not even able to stand. They removed several cysts wrapped around my internal organs. They also removed one ovary and part of the other, still leaving me able to get pregnant. I had 2 adopted children and one natural. Then 8 months later, I was hospitalized again and a total hysterectomy done. I had a total of 11 cysts, some as big as grapefruits. I am so glad that doctors are paying more attention now and doing something for women before they get to the stage that I reached. Speak up, ladies, and make sure that you are heard.

Comment from: Pam, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 11

From the age of 18 to 50, I had really bad lower abdominal cramping starting the day before my period began until it ended. I was unusually tired. Until my 30s a few years after my daughter was born, my periods had been regular and lasted about 5 days. Then, they began to last longer and became heavier and the pain was worse. I especially had lower right abdominal pain. My doctor had a CT scan done and said I had an ovarian cyst. I continued to complain off and on to my doctor but he'd just prescribe higher doses of anti-inflammatory medication. When I was in my 40s, he finally sent me to an OB/GYN. He did a laparoscopy and said he could see no endometriosis. As my periods became heavier, I became anemic and the pain caused me to miss work more....my doctor sent me for a vaginal sonogram and a large mass was detected on top of my right ovary. The OB/GYN wanted to do a removal of the mass, but I asked him to do a total hysterectomy so I wouldn't have to deal with the pain and anemia any longer. For quite some time, I felt betrayed by the MDs who I believe mismanaged my case all along.

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I suffered from endometriosis at age 40 after giving birth to my last child. The pain came in waves not dissimilar to contractions and I took strong drugs to mask the pain. Occasionally when a bout was really bad, I would need to be seen by a doctor for pain killer injections. My periods were so heavy that I leaked through layers of maternity pads and had many embarrassing moments. I was admitted to the hospital and the surgeon cut out the endometriosis but cautioned that it may come back. Two months later I was in more pain than ever and was almost house bound. I was admitted to hospital again for exploratory surgery but I knew that it was likely at least one ovary would be removed. My condition was severe and after surgery I found out that I had needed a total hysterectomy. Although I went through early menopause with some extreme symptoms, nothing has been as bad as the pain of endometriosis. I am now 49 and have since menopause gained 15 kilos for no apparent reason. I'm looking at herbal remedies to try and balance my hormones at present so I can lose weight. I had by some miracle managed to have children but at 40 I knew I was not to have any more so a total hysterectomy was a good thing for me. I am pain-free and live a normal life so I am grateful for surgical intervention, although I know it is not a solution for everyone.

Comment from: cm630, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 43 and my pain is severe at the onset of my period and will last through day four or five. I have loose stools and I had a difficult time controlling my bladder. I have three good weeks per month but, suffer dearly for five to seven days. Four Advil every three to four hours helps but it's not good on the stomach. I have been to several doctors who all say the same thing -- that outside of strong drugs with bad side effects or hysterectomy, there is not much more they can do. I continue to wait for a cure :)

Comment from: Elisha422, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm tired everyday of having this pain. The treatment also makes me very sleepy. It is affecting my over all daily life. I wish that there was a cure for this. I can't take it anymore. I am also scared of having a hysterectomy. I don't think this is the cure.

Must Read Articles Related to Endometriosis

Female Sexual Problems
Female Sexual Problems Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>
Infertility
Infertility Infertility affects about 6.1 million people in the United States, about 10% of men and women of reproductive age. A fertility specialist is usually an obstetri...learn more >>
Laparoscopy
Laparoscopy Laparoscopy is a less invasive form of surgery where surgeons make tiny incisions and insert tiny instruments and a camera into the incision to view internal or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your endometriosis?

Endometriosis - Cause

What was the cause of your endometriosis?