Viewer Comments: Endometriosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your endometriosis?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I hope this helps all women out there with endometriosis. I was diagnosed with endo when I was 35 (I am now 44) after having had terrible period pains all my life (terrible cramps, leg pain, back pain, my life would be miserable for four or five days per month). Anyway, I had surgery, and they removed both cysts through laparoscopy (one was six by four centimeters, the other one by two centimeters) and only 15 months later I had to go in for surgery again. Only this time, surgery was a lot more invasive since the operation was like a C-section but without the baby. This time, they were able to remove another huge cyst but were able to save the affected ovary. Surgery was even more complicated this time around because apparently I had scarring in my intestine, liver and kidneys. After this, I started on a hormone treatment that lasted six months to avoid menstruation. Needless to say, I do not have children. After going through this, which was pretty traumatic both emotionally and physically, I started looking into alternative treatments. I found a Chinese doctor who completely changed my life. I was treated with electro-acupuncture for about a year (at first, three times a week, then twice a week for several months and then once a week), and Chinese medicine has kept me away from surgery all these years. I have no pain whatsoever when menstruating (whereas before the cramps were so bad I could barely walk) and my quality of life has increased in a way that I have never felt better. After my second surgery my doctor said that probably within a year I'd be back for a hysterectomy. Thankfully, I have been able to keep endometriosis away all this time. For whatever it is worth, the Chinese doctor recommends to keep away from ingesting anything cold ... always hot or room temperature (apparently cold is bad for blood flow) and also, stay away from tampons. I really hope this information helps because at the time, I thought there was absolutely nothing in the world that would help me and really Chinese medicine has kept me both sane and healthy.

I am a 26 yr old women who just had my left ovary and fallopian tube removed! When the doctor took it out she said it should have been done years ago she said she did not want to take the right one if we didn't have to because I am so young. That was 3 weeks ago today and the pain on the right side it so bad that I know I have to call and go back. I always knew that I wanted to adopt but the realization that I may never be able to have children is terrifying to me. I suffer from depression and anxiety to begin with and I just don't know how do process and deal with this.

Comment from: lynne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I recently had a major scare in my life when I had horrible pain in my stomach area I thought I tore stomach muscles but I didn't. I never went to the doctor for my yearly checkup because I thought I was healthy and it was embarrassing so I skipped it. Well it ended up I was in so much pain I could barely stand it. I finally broke down went to the doctor had a cat scan done and found a tumor my ovarian cyst was huge it ended up weighing 41 lbs! I was so scared I thought I was going to die. It ended up when I had emergency surgery it took 2 surgeons to remove it; if it burst I could have died. It was attaching itself to my organs and had its own blood supply. My lungs ended up hurting and my ribs ached! I was miserable. I came out of a 3 1/2 hour surgery with flying colors have over a foot long incision w over 53 staples which saved my life literally. I look at my doctor as God now. He gave me a second chance at life. I will never miss my yearly check up again. Please you owe it to yourself to go to that appointment.

Comment from: fedup, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I'm 23 years old and have been suffering from painful periods for the last 7 years, the pain has increased over the last four years so severely that I can't walk without being hunched over. The pain makes me curl up in the fetal position unable to do anything but cry. The pains alternate between feeling like I'm being stabbed repeatedly and feeling like my ovaries are going to burst. The pain goes right through to my back and I get severe diarrhea with each period. I have been to numerous doctors over the years who have never been of any help only offering pain killers instead of assessing the cause. Finally I found a doctor who is willing to take further action and I am having a laparoscopy in coming weeks. I'm not sure if endometriosis is the cause for certain but I know that something is not right and am relieved to finally be doing something about it, although I got pregnant at 16 years old and lost the baby, I have been unable to get pregnant since and have expressed my concerns of infertility to those doctors. The frustration of not being listened to has left me feeling helpless and suffering in silence all these years. I only hope that not too much damage has been done as I would like to have children one day.

Must Read Articles Related to Endometriosis

Female Sexual Problems
Female Sexual Problems Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>
Infertility
Infertility Infertility affects about 6.1 million people in the United States, about 10% of men and women of reproductive age. A fertility specialist is usually an obstetri...learn more >>
Laparoscopy
Laparoscopy Laparoscopy is a less invasive form of surgery where surgeons make tiny incisions and insert tiny instruments and a camera into the incision to view internal or...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Endometriosis:

Endometriosis - Cause

What was the cause of your endometriosis?

Endometriosis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your endometriosis?