Viewer Comments: Enlarged Prostate - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Enlarged Prostate:

Enlarged Prostate - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with an enlarged prostate?

Comment from: DISABLED VET, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

My symptoms began about a year ago that I simply didn't understand. I would wake from a deep sleep to rush painfully to the bathroom with what felt like a full bladder. Over the past few months it has gotten so bad that I would stand in the bathroom for 20 min. with a painfully full bladder that felt like a knife stabbing me through the back just waiting and pushing yet no results and finally a small 6 min. stream would give great relief. And to my dismay, 15 min. later it starts all over again.

Comment from: Reg, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I have suffered BHP for 18 months now and after taking drugs for 12 months it has eased the problem quite a bit. The reason for this comment is I fail to understand why the symptoms almost disappear during the warmer weather months, like April to November. Also, on occasion when I have the last small drink at 6pm I am up every hour during the night and urinating each time. Your comments would be helpful. Reg

Comment from: Sharing Info, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

For my enlarged prostate, my symptoms were a sudden, painful urge to urinate. Really, rather than a feeling coming on like it normally would, I have the sudden urge to go.

Comment from: weasl, 35-44 Male Published: March 01

Having an enlarged prostate feels like having to go all the time, especially at night. Also, after I go, there is some leakage after I'm done. I don't really have any trouble starting and stopping, but it's so hard to believe that my prostate is enlarged.

Comment from: sufferer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

Before I learned I had an enlarged prostate, I had a weak stream of urine; difficulty starting urination; dribbling of urine, especially after urinating; a sense of not fully emptying the bladder; leaking of urine; painful ejaculation and delay of emission of semen.

Comment from: londoner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I just had blood test for my prostate and it was 1.4 and my urine test was fine but I am still finding that when go urinate I am still getting this burning.

Comment from: healthfirst, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I knew someone with an enlarged prostate. He had sudden and frequent urination during the night. During the day, he would dribble and come home with a strong smell of urine in his pants. During intimacy he once urinated uncontrollably. It was really embarrassing for him. I eventually bought him the bed pads and some incontinence pads for his underwear. He is depressed and needs help. He did eventually have the surgery but it's too soon to report the results. He complains that the results are not staggering and that he had learned to live with the e problem. He also had undergone a vasectomy in 2006 and was having ED issues, but in denial. Hopefully, the prostate surgery will eliminate some of his many issues.

Must Read Articles Related to Enlarged Prostate

Prostate Cancer
Prostate Cancer Age, race, family history, infection with STDs, high-fat diet, and chemical exposure are risk factors for prostate cancer. Prostate cancer often has no symptoms...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Enlarged Prostate:

Enlarged Prostate - Diagnosis

How was your enlarged prostate diagnosed?

Enlarged Prostate - Treatment

What was the treatment for your enlarged prostate?

Enlarged Prostate - Experience

Please describe your experience with an enlarged prostate.

Enlarged Prostate - Cause

Please describe the cause of your enlarged prostate.