Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
When to Seek Medical Care
Generally, people with splenomegaly may be cared for by the physician who is managing the underlying cause. For example, hematologists (doctors who specialize in treating blood disorders), oncologists (cancer specialists), and gastroenterologists (liver and digestive tract specialists) all commonly take care of patients who may have enlarged spleen as a response to another condition.
Depending on the cause, individuals with splenomegaly may seek urgent doctor visits if they have evidence of bleeding, infection that is not well controlled at home, or severe abdominal pain.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/2/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Could Your Symptoms Be Lactose Intolerance?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Heartburn & Indigestion: Expert Answers
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?