Viewer Comments: Epiglottitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Epiglottitis:

Epiglottitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your epiglottitis?

Comment from: Maribeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

The only symptom I had was extreme pain swallowing. I had no fever or problems breathing, but I couldn't drink or eat anything because of the pain. I dreaded having to swallow. I went first to the urgent care where they did a strep test which came up negative. The next day I went to an ENT who put a scope up my nose to get to my throat and he immediately diagnosed epiglottitis. Steroids helped the swelling immensely. I needed no hospitalization. I had never head of this before.

Comment from: Deborah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have had a nagging sore throat that seems to radiate from the back right of my mouth beyond the base of my tongue. It is very lumpy back there. I also have some painful indentations on the same side of my tongue. They do not seem to be "sores," per se, but they are sore. When I explored where the pain seemed to originate I made it all the way to the very back, right side base of the tongue. I recently saw my doctor for other things and mentioned the ache across my face to my ear and on swallowing. She found no enlargement of lymph nodes though my neck feels a bit stiff again on that right side. I had dental work and asked if my face-earache could be from a tooth infection. I'm a little worried as I found a large flap back there. Because it doesn't cover the whole back area I wasn't sure if it is my epiglottis. The article was informative yet not helpful. I don't have any trouble breathing but have some difficulty swallowing, no high fever.

Comment from: SUSU, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 47 and just had a very close call with epiglottitis three weeks ago. It started with a sore throat. I woke in the middle of the night and was choking. My husband woke to find me fighting to get air. I was taken to the hospital and put in ICU. They had not seen a case of Epiglottitis but did a great job getting me through it. I'm still taking meds and have been back in the hospital for a second onset. My voice will get very weak if I talk too much or try to sing. I still feel there is swelling in my lower throat. We still do not know the cause of the Epiglottitis.

Comment from: Thelma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a 74. I had a slight sore throat at bed time. I awoke and felt I was slightly choking. My husband took me to Emergency at local hospital and I walked in and was okay for while they took my vitals. I then was asked to walk for chest X-ray and I had gone about 12 paces when I said "I can't ..." I meant to tell them I couldn't breathe but collapsed and had an intubation. Three months later my voice is still not right. It was an incredibly quick onset.

Comment from: sharkboy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I had a SEVERE sore throat around the tonsil area with a very sharp pin-like stabbing pain when swallowing. I also had a feeling of swallowing a small ball and having it stuck at the gag-reflex part of the throat. It feels like the little ball is stuck.

Must Read Articles Related to Epiglottitis

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Croup
Croup Croup is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract that typically affects children under 3 years of age. Symptoms include a barking cough, cold, and low-...learn more >>
Dysphagia
Dysphagia (Swallowing Problems) Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) has many causes. Dysphagia can be caused by diseases of the brain, diseases or conditions that affect muscle function, disease...learn more >>