Viewer Comments: Epiglottitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Epiglottitis:

Epiglottitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your epiglottitis?

Comment from: Most Thankful 38, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

My onset of Epiglottitis, started with the feeling of a sore throat, which lead to difficulty swallowing, and a few hours later difficulty breathing and speaking. By the time my husband drove me to ER, I started drooling and choking. The ER Physician took an x-ray of the soft tissues of the neck and the film revealed epiglottitis. I am most Thankful for My husband prompt attention of taking me to the ER and the physician for properly diagnosing and treating my symptoms. The smallest things could lead to a serious or fatal incident. Seeking medical attention for small things such as a "sore throat" seems huge to me now, whereas before I would try and treat myself with OTC medication...Not Anymore!!!

Comment from: Deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had knee surgery and all was well. Within a matter of hours I told the nurses my throat and jaw were really sore. The next time I woke up was 10 days later in ICU where I died for a few minutes as they couldn't get the tube down to help me breathe. I was intubated and if that didn't work they were going to do an emergency tracheotomy. If I get a sore throat now I start to panic.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: August 01

I am 43. I had epiglottitis a year ago with no prior symptoms. I woke up one morning with very swollen throat. I could hardly swallow. My husband took me to ER. I was given an X-ray and diagnosed with epiglottitis. I was put in ICU to be on the safe side in case of problems.

Comment from: Carolee66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I had a scratchy throat. A few hours later my throat started to swell. I went to the ER and I could not lie on the CT scan table because my airway closed. I ended up intubated and unconscious for seven days. In the hospital another three days. I am having physical therapy and speech therapy. It was a horrible experience.

Comment from: Fido in Casper, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I experienced stinging feelings in the back of my throat, which I thought it was merely something happening, perhaps, with my tonsils. Over a period of nearly three days, my throat had been swelling as was quite apparent inside and out. On the third day, I experienced a sudden blockage of my windpipe resulting in a severe inability to breathe normally. I then called 911 and received attention within minutes and an ambulance transported me to our local hospital. I received an emergency tracheotomy in that facility allowing me to then breathe. I was in our hospital for 8 days recovering, and am still weak and experience very little appetite and I have lost about 15% of my body weight. Epiglottitis is finally the diagnosis, but I've researched my situation and the illness herein described also points to respiratory diphtheria being also quite rare. However, since I had not looked into my throat as it continued to swell, I could not see if a "gray" coating existed at the back of the throat thereby indicating said diphtheria possibility; however, something suddenly had blocked my throat as stated above.

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was diagnosed with supraepiglottitis after getting off a cruise ship. It started with a cough then the last 3 days of the cruise I had fever, sore throat, muffled voice, and one day of vomiting. I thought I had strep. I started on antibiotics but kept getting worse. I went to and ENT specialist and he put a scope down my nose and diagnosed me with epiglottitis. I've never heard of it. The doctor put me on steroids and amoxicillin for almost two weeks. Recently my ear and jaw started hurting and now I'm on new antibiotics. It's been three weeks and I'm still dealing with it. I still feel an obstruction in my throat. It's scary to think this could be fatal.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 12

I had a sore throat, extremely painful earache, with pressure, fever, body aches, difficulty swallowing, difficulty breathing while lying down, and drooling. I was unable to swallow and I was given pain meds and antibiotics, and eventually an emergency tracheotomy

Comment from: Maribeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

The only symptom I had was extreme pain swallowing. I had no fever or problems breathing, but I couldn't drink or eat anything because of the pain. I dreaded having to swallow. I went first to the urgent care where they did a strep test which came up negative. The next day I went to an ENT who put a scope up my nose to get to my throat and he immediately diagnosed epiglottitis. Steroids helped the swelling immensely. I needed no hospitalization. I had never head of this before.

Must Read Articles Related to Epiglottitis

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Croup
Croup Croup is a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract that typically affects children under 3 years of age. Symptoms include a barking cough, cold, and low-...learn more >>
Dysphagia
Dysphagia (Swallowing Problems) Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) has many causes. Dysphagia can be caused by diseases of the brain, diseases or conditions that affect muscle function, disease...learn more >>