Viewer Comments: Epstein-Barr Virus Infection - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Epstein-Barr Virus:

Epstein-Barr Virus Infection - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Epstein-Barr virus infection?

Comment from: Nellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I've never had the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) diagnosis until today. I've been experiencing fatigue and just attributed it to getting older, so I drank a lot of caffeine until I crashed with swollen lymph nodes, aching all over, severe sore throat and felt freezing all of a sudden about a month ago. I was on the couch for days until I felt better. I took several commitments off my calendar in order to maintain my regular work schedule and I've been feeling much, much better with the exception of bloating which is most likely due to the enlarged spleen and swollen liver (other side effects from EBV). I strongly suggest rest is best for anyone experiencing this virus. You can get better and fast by saying no to things. Take care of yourself!

Comment from: Bhgal71, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Epstein-Barr virus infection caused high elevated liver enzymes, enlarged liver, enlarged spleen, and enlarged gallbladder. Neutrophils were very low, white blood counts extremely low, I was dehydrated, had fluctuation of fever up and down, night sweats, was extremely fatigued, had fluid on outside of both lungs (probably from no activity or exercise), sleepless nights, sore throat, stuffy head, as well as mononucleosis and cytomegalovirus. I spent couple nights in the hospital, and couple nights in the emergency room for IVs from dehydration. Currently I have been sick two weeks and not released to even think about work for a month.

Comment from: cupcake, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

With Epstein-Barr virus infection I get very bad aches and pains all over my body along with a sore throat and swollen glands, and feel very tired with no energy at all. I do not get a temperature. Sometimes I have chills. I hate the flare ups as my life stops and I have no energy. Seems like I get a flare up every two years or so. I hope that this information helps someone suffering with this. I can't do anything about a flare up except wait and let it run its course.

Comment from: Mei., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus infection 30 years ago. I had five months of constant headache, alternating fever and chills, brain fog and total fatigue. I went to bed tired and woke up tired. There were days I couldn't sleep at all and days I slept 20 hours and still woke up fatigued and with barely energy to get dressed. I felt lazy, slothful and stupid because I couldn't hold an intelligent thought. I felt like nobody believed it was real. I've been okay until April. It started with the fatigue all over again.

Comment from: Fredrique, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

Severe brain fog and fatigue were my symptoms of Epstein-Barr virus infection. Joints can ache but the lack of energy to exercise is hard. No headaches or sore throat.

Comment from: Kiki, Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have severe vertigo, vomiting, spinning, sweats, chills, severe weakness, and feel helpless. I just recently read about Epstein-Barr virus infection as the possible cause.

Comment from: Maxie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

With Epstein-Barr virus infection I do not run a fever, just freeze and my whole body aches including my fingers. I am certainly not hungry. No sore throat; just severe aches and lethargy.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was very tired and had no idea as to why. I had fevers and chills, was aching overall, and felt horrible. Tests found Epstein-Barr virus infection and my liver count was over 700. I don't really know what the norm is but was told that was unusually high.

Must Read Articles Related to Epstein-Barr Virus Infection

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever/...learn more >>
Fever in Children
Fever in Children Fever is defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4 F or 38 C. Fever isn't life-threatening unless it is persistently high -- greater than a 107 F rectal temper...learn more >>
Mononucleosis
Mononucleosis Infectious mononucleosis is an infection most frequently caused by the learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Epstein-Barr Virus:

Epstein-Barr Virus Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your Epstein-Barr virus infection?