Font Size

Eye Allergies (cont.)

When to Seek Medical Care for Eye Allergies

Although allergies often improve with avoidance of the allergen, this is often not practically feasible. If symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis are adversely affecting quality of life, seeking care from an allergist or ophthalmologist (a medical doctor specializing in eye care and surgery) may help provide symptomatic relief. There are a host of options to help manage symptoms, including environmental control measures, medical therapy, and even allergen immunotherapy.

If an individual is experiencing any changes in vision, such as blurred vision, floaters, or double vision, this warrants prompt medical evaluation, typically with an ophthalmologist.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 5/27/2015

Must Read Articles Related to Eye Allergies

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Allergy Shots
Allergy Shots Allergy shots, or immunotherapy, is recommended for severe allergy sufferers. Typically, immunotherapy consists of a three- to five-year course of allergy shots...learn more >>
Drug Allergy
Drug Allergy Drug allergies may result in rashes and other symptoms. Several classes of medications may be associated with drug allergy. Treatment may include antihistamines...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eye Allergies:

Eye Allergies - Symptoms and Signs

What are your eye allergy symptoms and signs?

Eye Allergies - Medications

What medications effectively treat your eye allergies?

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Keratoconus »

Keratoconus (KC) is a progressive, noninflammatory, bilateral (but usually asymmetrical) disease of the cornea, characterized by paraxial stromal thinning that leads to corneal surface distortion.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary