Viewer Comments: Eye Pain - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eye Pain:

Eye Pain - Causes

What caused your eye pain?

Comment from: Rosemary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had conjunctivitis and I have been treated by ophthalmologist with Tobradex which helped in the past. I experienced this about two years ago, and although the condition is not severe, the redness has gone away. I am now experiencing extreme searing pain and scratchiness and a burning sensation in my eyes.

Comment from: frances, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had cataract surgery six weeks ago. Two days after the surgery, severe sharp pains and burning in my right eye woke me in the middle of the night.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had shooting sharp pain to my left eye. I went to ER and I went to eye specialist. The shooting pain has stopped, but my eye still hurts and keeps me up all night.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had surgery yesterday to have a chemo port installed. Had bilateral eye pain, as if something scratchy was coating both eyeballs, upon waking up. It has abated somewhat today, but still there, along with watering. I am a type 2 diabetic, but with no glaucoma history.

Comment from: san6t, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I was working in the garage and got dust in my eye. The next two days my eye got worse and worse until I couldn't bear it. Monday morning I went to the eye doctor and he removed a pollen seed from under my eyelid!!! All better :)

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: January 03

I had an injury to my left eye when I was hit in the eye with my son's toy.

Comment from: still hopeful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I had cataract surgery in October 2009. A large section of the lens and many lens fragments were dropped into the vitreous and onto the retina. A retina surgery performed a vitrectomy. He was not able to remove all fragments. It is now June and although I have been told that the retina has healed well beyond expectations by this time, I have a lot of pain in my eye and a number of floaters are making it very hard to focus. I haven't been given much information from the surgeons other than that I should be happy that I have vision and my eye may still improve.

Comment from: Nelly, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

The eye pain that I experience is due to migraines. I usually get the pain on one side of my head. I would first get the pain in my eye, then I would get a migraine.

Comment from: donna, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

I had eye pain in my pupil, which was associated with a headache I was having. It was very painful.

Comment from: JoR, 55-64 Female Published: July 06

I have a sharp stabbing pain in my left eye when I bend over. Just began last night. No change in vision and not every time I bend over. But painful enough to really take notice.

Comment from: Ellie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I have glaucoma and I'm only 20 I've been in and out of the hospital for all my life with uvitus which then developed into secondary glaucoma. I had the big operation (that I can't remember the name of) about a year ago. Everything went well, but then I was told I have a cataract forming.

Comment from: scotchie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I was in San Antonio on a very hot day. While on (vacation) I had a soda with ice at a noon meal. I sipped through a straw. I couldn't stand the pain in my eye. I had to stop drinking it. Later I had a glass of ice water. I could not drink it through a straw as it hurt so much it brought tears to my eye. It also happened with another cold drink, as long as I drank it out of the glass it was ok, but with a straw it was too painful. It was similar to an "ice cream headache" except worse. Otherwise I am in excellent health.

Comment from: tywon, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I got punched in eye. It is not a black eye, but it's pink and feels like something is stabbing me in eye.

Must Read Articles Related to Eye Pain

Corneal Abrasion
Corneal Abrasion A corneal abrasion is a painful scrape or scratch of the surface of the clear part of the eye. This clear tissue of the eye is known as the cornea.learn more >>
Corneal Flash Burns
Corneal Flash Burns Eyes, particularly the cornea (the clear window of tissue on the front of the eyeball), can be damaged easily by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun ...learn more >>
Dry Eye Syndrome
Dry Eye Syndrome To help keep your eyes comfortable and your vision optimal, a normal, thin film of tears coats your eyes. Three main layers make up this tear film. The in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eye Pain:

Eye Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your eye pain?