Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis) (cont.)
Eyelid Inflammation Symptoms
Blepharitis usually causes symptoms of eye itching, irritation, burning, and the sensation that something "may be in the eye." The complaint that "my eyes feel dry" is common.
With contact-lens wearers, it is often mentioned that "I can't wear my lenses for as long as I did before" and "the lenses irritate me more."
The lids may be red and may have ulcerative, non-healing areas which may actually bleed.
- Vision is usually normal, although a poor tear film often blurs vision, causing varying amounts of fluctuating vision during the day.
- Redness, warmth, and swelling in advanced cases may also be noted.
In allergic blepharitis, the lids may appear dark like raccoon eyes. This is called an "allergic shiner" and is very common in children.
- Flaking and eyelid matting or "gluing" of the lashes are common.
- In the infectious form, there may be yellow- or green-colored fluid/discharge, which causes sticking of the lids, especially in the morning.
- With the most common seborrheic form, dry, flaky patches of skin may develop. Dandruff is common on the scalp and the eyebrows.
Blepharitis may localize in the skin of the eyelids causing a sty or a chalazion, which, if it does not respond to medical treatment, may require incision (lancing) for drainage.
Increased tear production is common and may be quite bothersome.
Chronic blepharitis may result in damage of varying severity. This may have a marked negative effect upon vision and therefore upon the eyeglass prescription.
Must Read Articles Related to Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis)
An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
A cataract clouds the lens of the eye, limiting vision. Historically, cataracts were common among such ancient peoples as the Sumeri, the Egyptians, and the Ind...learn more >>
Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)
A chalazion is a lump in the eyelid that is caused by a blocked oil gland. Symptoms and signs include redness and pain. Applying warm compresses and lightly mas...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis):