Font Size

Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis) (cont.)

Exams and Tests

Your ophthalmologist or primary-care physician usually diagnoses this condition after a careful history and an examination of your eyes and eyelids.

The exam usually consists of checking the vision after which the lids are examined, usually using the slit-lamp (microscope) if an ophthalmologist is consulted (the primary-care physician doesn't use a microscope).

Other diseases may affect your eyelids, so some of the questions or the examination may be focused on other parts of your body, as well as any medications, such as chemotherapeutic agents or antidepressants, that you are taking. The work environment, including exposure to any chemicals, may also be explored.

Occasionally cultures are taken -- swabbing the discharge and sending this to the laboratory to look for specific organisms. This is usually reserved for infections that don't respond to the usual medications.

If it is suspected that the blepharitis is related to or caused by a systemic disease, a more complete evaluation by your primary-care physician may be indicated.

In some cases, an allergy evaluation may be required.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/26/2015

Must Read Articles Related to Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis)

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Cataracts Cataracts is a condition usually associated wit...learn more >>
Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)
Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) A chalazion is a lump in the eyelid...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis):

Eyelid Inflammation (Blepharitis) - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your blepharitis?

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Blepharatis, Adult »

Blepharitis refers to a family of inflammatory disease processes of the eyelid(s).

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary