Viewer Comments: Fainting - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Causes

What was the cause of your fainting?

Comment from: Sassy Senior, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have fainted since I was in 4th grade. I am now 61. I was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia in 1989 and have been on beta blockers ever since. Time to time they have had to be changed and dosage adjusted; but currently on 50mg. Tenormin. July 24 became lightheaded while singing hymns at church and I sat down as I knew the signs and didn't want to faint and cause a scene. The following Sun., July 31 it happened again; only during the sermon I became very lightheaded. I leaned over and even lay across my husband's lap trying to avoid fainting. I finally realized I was going to either faint; so I asked him to help me out of the sanctuary. He helped me through the double doors in the entrance hall where I had to lay down. A nurse who attends there saw me and followed us and helped by getting some wet paper towels and water. Once I was able to get up my husband and I left. I saw my electro physiologist and cardiologist today and he said I appear to be fine and advised me to continue as I've been. He only wants me to drink more water and Gatorade for electrolytes and if I have another episode he wants to do some kind of EKG test where they go up through the groin and stimulate my heart and see if he can recreate the episode. I have had tilt table and did not faint. Very confusing.

Comment from: Snowy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was in a store at the checkout line when I started shaking. Then I could not hear anything, and I fell backwards, fainting. It was the weirdest thing.

Comment from: Evan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

The cause of my fainting was an article I was casually reading in a magazine. A person was telling how he had had a heart attack and mentioned feeling pains in his chest. At that point I started to feel a pressure in mine, and a strange sleepy feeling, which culminated in my losing consciousness. I don't know how long I was unconscious: it may have been only a few seconds. I don't know why reading the article had such a drastic effect!

Comment from: Deidra, 35-44 Female Published: January 22

I start to feel like I'm about to faint when I get too warm or the kid's are fighting with one another.

Comment from: Sdnvncmck, 13-18 Female Published: May 01

About 3 years ago, when I was 12, I was at the vet for my dog's check up. I was standing up for quite a while and I started to feel really sick. I couldn't see properly and everything was blurry. Before I knew it I was on the floor with the vet and my family standing around. My chin had been cut open and there was blood everywhere. I hadn't really felt dizzy after that until last year. I was standing up in science. The felt very faint but was too afraid to tell anyone, I had a substitute teacher that day too. So I ended up waking up on the ground with the whole class looking at me... The science teacher was shaking with nerves. This time I had smashed seven teeth, cut my chin and broke my jaw. Ever since that day I've been fainting pretty frequently. I have been tested for basically everything possible. The tilt table test came back positive so basically all my doctors have said so far is not to stand up. It's not really working though. I am now 15 and I'm scared I'm going to have to live with this for the rest of my life, it's wrecking it. I pass out nearly every day now.

Comment from: Cindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was having a mammogram done, and I felt nauseated and weak. I got and lightheaded and I knew I was fainting. I was able to sit down and next thing I know, the nurse was calling my name and giving me candy to eat. The mammogram nurse said I had my eyes open and my pupils were dilated. I don't recall being awake until I came to and seen the nurse with the candy. I have felt weak, low-energy and tired ever since.

Comment from: kp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

First time I fainted was after I had a tooth pulled.

Comment from: Dee, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 01

My husband faints every time he raises his arms above his head.

Comment from: Thomas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Vertigo was the cause of my fainting. The room started spinning at 10pm. I lay down on the couch and started sweating really bad. I felt myself about ready to faint, so I started to call family, but then I was out. I did not open my eyes again until 12 hours later at 10:30am.

Must Read Articles Related to Fainting

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Epilepsy
Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>
Hyperventilation
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.