Viewer Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Becky, Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have fainted a few times in the past, and I often feel dizzy and lightheaded. Today I had to have my blood taken and as soon as the needle goes in I start to feel light headed, then my eyesight starts to blur and eventually I cannot see anything. Also my hearing goes slightly and all I can hear is buzzing. This usually this only lasts a few seconds and then I return to normal. Today I fainted and when the nurse woke me up it was the strangest feeling, like I had been dreaming and I didn't understand where I was.

Comment from: Suzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

While standing at the sink to wash my hands, I looked in the mirror and saw myself very pale, the next thing I knew it was several minutes later and I was on the floor. I was awakened by my golden retriever licking my face and crying, standing over me. I took a few minutes to gather myself and then rolled over and pulled myself up. The same thing happened two weeks previous but I had time to sit down before I fainted. However, it took me am entire hour to be able to actually get up without feeling like I was going to faint. When I actually did faint, two weeks later, I had absolutely no recall of falling. It was terrifying.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm 45 and fainted for the first time last night while having dinner at an event with coworkers, sitting at a large crowded table. I guess I had about 15 seconds of warning, where I felt myself sinking uncontrollably into unconsciousness, like I was falling into myself. I guess I fought it, and I remember saying to my wife next to me that I felt I was passing out. The last thing I remember was her telling me to look up at the lights. The next I was looking wild-eyed at a circle of people around me, who'd apparently caught me as I slumped forward. Several people helped me away from the table to some lounge chairs, but I passed out again as they were sitting me down, with less warning. An ambulance was called, and several friends held up my legs as we waited for its arrival. But by the time it got there 20 or so minutes later, I felt pretty much fine. In the ER, docs took all the vitals and everything was fine. So what happened? I'd had a stressful day. I had long meeting where I gave an hour-long presentation - but this was not unusual for me. I'm an endurance cyclist, and had recently lost a bit of weight due to physical activity (not dieting). That day I'd eaten a very late lunch due to the meeting, and a very late dinner due to the event. Had a bit of wine with dinner, but I do that often. Nothing unusual. Scared my wife to death (she was thinking heart attack at first), and my coworkers were pretty freaked too. I'm a fit, active, healthy person who has never had any health problems. Wish I knew what caused it, if it's likely to happen again, what I can do to avoid it, or if this was just some isolated, singular episode due to the perfect storm of small events that culminated in my body deciding to shut down. Either way I'm worried to go cycling, drive, or even be by myself at the moment. Guess I'll just take it easy for a few days and see what happens. Don't want to be afraid, but hard not to be.

Comment from: Evan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

The only time I have actually fainted was while reading an account of someone having a heart attack (I was in my teens at the time). He described feeling pain in the chest, at which point I started to feel a pressure in mine. I felt a strange sleepy sensation and gradually lost consciousness altogether. I suppose I wasn't unconscious for very long. When I came to, I felt weak and confused, and also, if I remember, sweaty. I was also very embarrassed. I wonder if my experience may be too unusual to be useful to other people.

Comment from: Crowbar, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was being prepared for cataract surgery. The IV had just been inserted when I began to feel faint and feel hot around the face. My pulse dropped to between 40 and 45. My normal resting pulse is 56. (At age 82 I'm still doing aerobic exercises every other day.) The cataract surgery was scrapped and I was shipped off the the emergency room at a local hospital.

Comment from: anonymousfainter, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have fainted three times that I can recall. The first time, I was in the shower, getting ready for school. The day before I hadn't gone because I had the flu, but today I was feeling better. All of a sudden, I felt dizzy. I yelled to my mom and told her I was sick. The next thing I know I'm covered in a towel, being carried by my dad to my room. My parents put my feet on a pillow and made me lie down. I felt very tired for about an hour, and later that day, I went to the doctor to see what had caused the episode. The doctors didn't know why I had fainted, so they decided to take some tests. I was beside myself when we did the blood drawing, and afterwards, I looked around, and felt dizzy. I lost my balance (I was sitting) and held on tight to my mom as she caught me. When I woke up, the nurse was completely freaked out. Apparently I had been shaking and I got very pale. The doctors were very alarmed and performed more tests, but they still couldn't figure out what had happened. The most recent episode was about a week ago. I hadn't had much of a breakfast, and I was at the allergist to figure out why I had been having hives, and to see if I was allergic to anything. They did the usual tests: blood and urine, and everything went well. After the appointment, however, my mother remembered I was late for my booster. The nurse administered the shot, and right after she took out the needle, it felt like every strand of muscle in my shoulder was being pinched very hard. I started groaning and complaining about the pain. I asked the nurse how long it would last. She started telling me but I interrupted her because I started seeing spots and her face was going black and I was feeling dizzy. I told her I was feeling woozy, and all of a sudden I was driving on a road surrounded by a forest, and I was talking to someone with an outfit very similar to one I had... and then I opened my eyes and I was facing the ceiling of the hospital room and I heard the word seizure. Apparently, my face had gone completely pale, and I sort of laid back and closed my eyes and started shaking for about three seconds, and then woke up. And I had had a dream. My ears were ringing afterwards, and I felt out of balance and tired. And we still don't know why it happens. We're just assuming it's a shock reaction to pain or loss of blood.

Must Read Articles Related to Fainting

Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Causes

What was the cause of your fainting?