Viewer Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: cj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I fainted in the shower 4 days ago. I had gotten out of bed, went to the bathroom as usual and got into the shower. I was shampooing my hair when I felt that aura and the feeling that it was about to happen. I was so annoyed - I knew I should get out and sit down but I wanted to finish my hair and use the conditioner so I thought to myself that I just needed to hurry and rinse it out and wash and be done but next thing I knew I was sitting on the floor of the shower leaning back against the wall with water running over me. Luckily I was not hurt. I have fainted about 7 times in my life, 4 in the last 10 years. Another episode happened last year when I woke up thirsty and went downstairs to get some orange juice. I got it out of the refrigerator and started toward the counter. Next thing I knew I was on the floor with orange juice everywhere. Another time was at a crowded museum looking at a painting, and another at a winery waiting for tastings at the bar. I mentioned the juice episode to my doctor last year but he brushed it off. I have been advised by a friend who is also a Dr. to insist on tests this time, so I am calling tomorrow. I suspect dehydration which is a chronic state for me but hope it is not a heart problem or something worse.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

About 5 weeks ago I was getting ready to go to a doctor appointment with a 2 year old I take care of every day. I went to warm up my car and returned to my house, opened the door and bent over slightly to pick up the child to carry him to the car. As soon as I took one step backward I knew I was going down. I felt the feeling of numbness come over me and felt my legs giving out. I went down but did not black out. I couldn't move and my speech was slurred a little. I kept telling a 5 year old who was also with me to go get my 24 year old son from his bedroom. I kept trying to tell my son to call 911 because I thought I was having a stroke. I was able to pull myself into the house and stayed on the floor until First Responders came and helped me onto a chair. They checked me out really well and said it wasn't a stroke but said I should go to the ER. My husband took me. Doctors did EKG, monitored my heart, ultra sound on my heart, X-rays, and CAT scan. Nothing wrong was found. They decided maybe high blood pressure medicine might have caused it. I felt perfectly fine till the fainting. The 2 year old was not injured in the fall.

Comment from: Tom R, 55-64 Male Published: February 25

I've fainted three times in the past 12-15 weeks. I've had no warning other than a sensation of lightheadedness that I thought I had under control by leaning on something and letting it pass. Then --boom- I'm looking up from the floor. Luckily I haven't hurt myself other than a bruise or two, and it's never happened outside my home, like driving or something. I don't drink, or do drugs, but my blood pressure is a tad high. I just don't get it.

Comment from: miss librarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 75 years old and have been diagnosed with congenital heart disease. My "fainting" is associated with falling while walking around. The period of lack of consciousness is very short. Upon regaining consciousness I feel very disoriented and confused. So far the only damage I have done is bumps and soreness.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've been experiencing headaches for a few weeks. I just figured it was sinus headaches but then I started getting dizzy spells. Last night I was standing and experienced a cold tingling sensation that went from my legs up through my head and face and the next thing I knew, my husband was standing over me yelling my name. I have an appointment with my doctor in a few days but I'm scared of what I will find out. I still don't feel right and have a headache.

Comment from: Etalee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

Age 86. The fainting spell usually occurs while in a sitting position. My head droops, and I lose consciousness for maybe 2 minutes. Symptoms for stroke or heart problems are negative. Have been to ER 3 times in past year; all test results are good, no problems. One time the vision was blurred for a time, then returned. Kept for observation over night, then I was sent home. After the seizure no coughing was present. As caregiver, I feel there is an electrical short and the circuit breaker clicking off, then coming back on.

Comment from: Sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I got up during the night, with a mild cramp in my leg to walk it off. I passed out without any warning or dizziness and woke up on the floor about 20 minutes later with a cut on my head. I was also shaking. We called 911, and I went to the ER and was admitted for 2 days. The heart, carotid arteries and brain scan tests were normal. Blood pressure is normal. Potassium was normal. I feel better but have to get out of bed very carefully by not turning my body.

Must Read Articles Related to Fainting

Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Causes

What was the cause of your fainting?