Viewer Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Tom R, 55-64 Male Published: February 25

I've fainted three times in the past 12-15 weeks. I've had no warning other than a sensation of lightheadedness that I thought I had under control by leaning on something and letting it pass. Then --boom- I'm looking up from the floor. Luckily I haven't hurt myself other than a bruise or two, and it's never happened outside my home, like driving or something. I don't drink, or do drugs, but my blood pressure is a tad high. I just don't get it.

Comment from: miss librarian, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 75 years old and have been diagnosed with congenital heart disease. My "fainting" is associated with falling while walking around. The period of lack of consciousness is very short. Upon regaining consciousness I feel very disoriented and confused. So far the only damage I have done is bumps and soreness.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've been experiencing headaches for a few weeks. I just figured it was sinus headaches but then I started getting dizzy spells. Last night I was standing and experienced a cold tingling sensation that went from my legs up through my head and face and the next thing I knew, my husband was standing over me yelling my name. I have an appointment with my doctor in a few days but I'm scared of what I will find out. I still don't feel right and have a headache.

Comment from: Etalee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

Age 86. The fainting spell usually occurs while in a sitting position. My head droops, and I lose consciousness for maybe 2 minutes. Symptoms for stroke or heart problems are negative. Have been to ER 3 times in past year; all test results are good, no problems. One time the vision was blurred for a time, then returned. Kept for observation over night, then I was sent home. After the seizure no coughing was present. As caregiver, I feel there is an electrical short and the circuit breaker clicking off, then coming back on.

Comment from: Sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I got up during the night, with a mild cramp in my leg to walk it off. I passed out without any warning or dizziness and woke up on the floor about 20 minutes later with a cut on my head. I was also shaking. We called 911, and I went to the ER and was admitted for 2 days. The heart, carotid arteries and brain scan tests were normal. Blood pressure is normal. Potassium was normal. I feel better but have to get out of bed very carefully by not turning my body.

Comment from: G-Man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Shortly after waking this morning I had a severe coughing fit--a remnant of a cold. Exhaling continually for a number of seconds, I suddenly lost my balance--as if sitting down in an adjustable chair that's been lowered more than expected. I fell into a wall behind me and ended up sitting down hard on the floor. I think I was disoriented only for the time it took to fall. I got up and went to sit on a bed for a minute. I was relatively okay after that. ("Relatively" in that I wasn't refreshed by my night's sleep.)

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 28

My son, who is 16 years old and in good health, fainted. He didn't hit the ground hard and wasn't out but a couple of seconds. He doesn't remember what happened. We took his blood sugar level after eating and it was 168. We took it this morning before he ate and it was 78. He has chronic sinus problems, and takes medication for it. He is very active, but has said that he has been dizzy several times when standing up.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was on the way home from work, sitting on a train comfortably reading a book. Suddenly I felt extremely hot and my vision was getting progressively more and more blurry. I had a strange salty taste in my mouth, and felt as though I was going to be sick. I looked across the aisle and saw a girl on her mobile. I tried to get her attention but my vision had gone and I could feel pins and needles type sensation on my legs going up towards my lower back. Then suddenly I couldn't keep my eyes open and I felt my head flop backwards. I must have been out of it for about a minute or so. When I woke, the girl was helping me out of my coat and had called for help. I was taken to A&E (accident and emergency), and was discharged after giving a blood sample. The doctor is querying a seizure of some type. My bloods came back fine.

Comment from: cane22, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have experienced fainting four times already. I've got double vision and a cool sweat with a headache. I really don't know what it is. I just started experiencing this for no reason. I've even experienced this in a crowded place while I was simply sitting still. I wish I knew what it was. I know I need to see a doctor. If you are experiencing any similar symptoms, hurry to a doctor.

Must Read Articles Related to Fainting

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Epilepsy
Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>
Hyperventilation
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Causes

What was the cause of your fainting?