Viewer Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: G-Man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Shortly after waking this morning I had a severe coughing fit--a remnant of a cold. Exhaling continually for a number of seconds, I suddenly lost my balance--as if sitting down in an adjustable chair that's been lowered more than expected. I fell into a wall behind me and ended up sitting down hard on the floor. I think I was disoriented only for the time it took to fall. I got up and went to sit on a bed for a minute. I was relatively okay after that. ("Relatively" in that I wasn't refreshed by my night's sleep.)

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 28

My son, who is 16 years old and in good health, fainted. He didn't hit the ground hard and wasn't out but a couple of seconds. He doesn't remember what happened. We took his blood sugar level after eating and it was 168. We took it this morning before he ate and it was 78. He has chronic sinus problems, and takes medication for it. He is very active, but has said that he has been dizzy several times when standing up.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was on the way home from work, sitting on a train comfortably reading a book. Suddenly I felt extremely hot and my vision was getting progressively more and more blurry. I had a strange salty taste in my mouth, and felt as though I was going to be sick. I looked across the aisle and saw a girl on her mobile. I tried to get her attention but my vision had gone and I could feel pins and needles type sensation on my legs going up towards my lower back. Then suddenly I couldn't keep my eyes open and I felt my head flop backwards. I must have been out of it for about a minute or so. When I woke, the girl was helping me out of my coat and had called for help. I was taken to A&E (accident and emergency), and was discharged after giving a blood sample. The doctor is querying a seizure of some type. My bloods came back fine.

Comment from: cane22, Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have experienced fainting four times already. I've got double vision and a cool sweat with a headache. I really don't know what it is. I just started experiencing this for no reason. I've even experienced this in a crowded place while I was simply sitting still. I wish I knew what it was. I know I need to see a doctor. If you are experiencing any similar symptoms, hurry to a doctor.

Comment from: helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I received an injection to my eye from my doctor. I felt no pain from this. After about 10 minutes, my eye bled a little and I started to feel weak and passed out. I have fainted many times in my life usually from the sight of blood although I try to fight it.

Comment from: Helenna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 12

While sleeping, and changing positions, I will experience vertigo. It soon passes, but happens quite frequently. Once, having to get up, during the night, dizziness was quite extreme. I took one step, and immediately blacked out, and collapsed on floor. This was not long in duration and I soon became conscious, however the condition exists. After sitting up, I must wait for the dizziness (vertigo)to pass before taking a step, for fear of collapsing again.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: January 19

I've had two episodes of fainting. Once in the summer, and once last night around 2:30AM. It happens once I get out of bed, either walking or standing. Last night I was taking my dogs outside, my ears had the wave sounds and I had to lie on the grass to keep from falling. I managed to get into the house and then I just lay on the floor. I had been packing up stuff to move, up and down stairs, and my legs had bad cramps so I had put heat on my legs before all this happened. The time before I had sonograms on the carotid veins and my heart, nothing was found.

Comment from: rchambo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

The last thing I remember I was sitting at my computer playing a card game. I started to have a strange dream, almost like I was high on drugs (pleasant and without any pain). My wife came in the room and found me out cold with my head on the computer key board. As soon as she woke me I felt fine.

Must Read Articles Related to Fainting

Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which a person has recurrent seizures. A seizure is defined as an abnormal, disorderly discharging of the brain's nerve cells, result...learn more >>
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Causes

What was the cause of your fainting?