Viewer Comments: Fainting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fainting.

Comment from: Bruce, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I've experienced 3 identical fainting episodes approximately 10 years apart for each. I believe it had something to do with the heat and dehydration. I suddenly would feel hot, sweaty and ill, and continue to pass out if standing. IV brought me back to normal each time.

Comment from: soprano, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I've fainted or near-fainted a few times in my lifetime. But two specific faints concern me. Both times I heard a loud buzzing sound. I had been on my feet, standing or moving, for a long time. Likely I was hot and tired. The first time, standing for hours in one place, I bent over and got back up much too quickly! I heard buzzing and crouched but still blacked out a few moments (friends held me). I stayed crouched until my head cleared. The second time, alone in my home, I moved too quickly (down/up) when doorbell rang and heard buzzing. I tried to lower myself but passed out. I came to on my own, bleeding from head, and called 911. No reason for faint found in hospital except 'T' trace in blood trending down. No chest pain or other warning symptom. Two subsequent faints likely from loss of blood, but I seem to be fine now. I do, however, dread hearing that buzzing sound again, and wish I knew the cause.

Comment from: Luther, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had a lot of fainting without any warning signs. I just all of a sudden black out.

Comment from: GroovFlowr, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was sick this past Saturday, but only a minor cold. I spent most of the day sleeping on the couch and didn't have a lot to eat or drink. Sunday morning I felt much better, had a shower and breakfast and started going about doing things at home. I sat down for a few minutes to talk to my fiancé, stood up, felt everything drain from me, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with him kneeling down beside me. I sometimes get dizzy when standing too suddenly or in too hot of a shower. I suspect that not eating much or staying hydrated all day Saturday, combined with my menstrual cycle (which started the day before I got sick and often wreaks some havoc on my body hormonally, especially with blood sugar) caused me to faint upon standing. It was my first experience with fainting. (I have passed out before from blood sugar issues, but this felt completely different and my glucose checked fine.)

Comment from: someone's wife, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I fainted just today, the second time in six months. The first time, my head felt buzzy and I was down for a bit longer. This time, I just felt dizzy and found myself on the floor. Both episodes occurred after getting up quickly from a reclined position on the couch. I make it from the living room to the kitchen before falling. I am a bulimic and have been purging frequently as of late. Dehydration is most likely the cause of my episodes.

Comment from: waltecar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My experience occurred when I was admitted to the hospital ER with chest pain. I had been having chest pain off an on all day accompanied by shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The ER staff administered oxygen, 3 nitroglycerin tablets about 5 minutes apart for the chest pain in addition to 5 baby aspirin. I remember starting to feel very nauseated again and like I was going to have diarrhea along with being very short of breath. That was all I remember. I didn't know what had happened to me. When I woke up, I was sweating profusely, lying with the whole gurney tilted practically standing on my head and thought that I had fallen asleep as I had been so tired and worn out from feeling like this all day. The doctor said that my blood pressure had bottomed out because of the loss of fluid (vomiting/diarrhea) and the nitroglycerin had dilated my blood vessels quite a lot. They had Iv's in both arms running them wide open to bring my pressure back up. Needless to say, this writer was kept in the hospital 3 days to determine the cause of the chest pain symptoms. The syncope came from the treatment they gave to relieve the chest pain that compounded the affects of the fluid loss.

Comment from: Dan , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I've had A-Fib for almost 15 yrs and the pre-syncope is getting more frequent. Today I had my first actual fainting spell. I get a fuzzy feeling that feels like a pressure is expanding inside me. I start to get overwhelmed by the sensation that a wave of lightheadedness is taking over. A very unpleasant feeling it doesn't hurt, but I try to fight it all the way. I try to breathe deeply, hold my breath, bend over, head between the knees, but to no avail it prevails against me. It usually just takes me to a point of near fainting and then I quickly recover. I fainted in front of several people today and they freaked. I am looking for some answers as I am certain all here are as well.

Must Read Articles Related to Fainting

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety as a medical condition is characterized b...learn more >>
Epilepsy
Epilepsy Epilepsy is a condition in which the brain repea...learn more >>
Hyperventilation
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting:

Fainting - Causes

What was the cause of your fainting?