Viewer Comments: Fever in Adults - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fever (in Adults):

Fever in Adults - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your fever?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have the flu as diagnosed by my doctor today. My symptoms were horrendous, head pounding, every bone in my body hurting, even my gums and teeth were joining in. There was not a place on my body where I did not hurt. My temperature was 39. I have just started the prescribed treatment of codeine and soluble paracetamol, and just after one treatment my headache has gone! I can live with the fatigue; that will eventually go when I stop the codeine. A big thank you to my doctor, what a relief to have my head back!

Comment from: Graham, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had a temperature now for 5 days, it starts with bad shivering. I take 2 paracetamol and 20 minutes later the shivering stops but I sweat to a point that I have to strip off because all my clothes are soaked. I lay on top of the bed in just my underwear, and if I am lucky enough to fall asleep, as soon as the temperature goes, I start to shiver again. I get wrapped up and have been repeating this process. The doctor is unable to find anything yet, I think I will ask for a blood test. Hope everyone gets better soon.

Comment from: tooty-butt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

Ice cream lowered my temperature 2 degrees.

Comment from: Dolce, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had a urinary tract infection a week ago. I got it treated it with antibiotics. It went away in 2 days. Two days later I have a fever of 103 to 104. I have chills and sweats, freezing on the inside but burning up on the outside. No pain just body aches from fever.

Comment from: S M, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Lots of great info. Put my mind at ease. I've never had a fever last this long with no other symptoms other than aches, but apparently I should give a couple more days.

Comment from: Suz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had FUO that would start rising about 7pm every night and break before I had to leave for work at 6am. Every night the temp would go higher than the previous night. I was admitted through the ER even though the ER doctor said I looked better than he did. I was in the hospital for a week and saw the doctor once. I had tests after tests because I had travelled to malarial countries and other places in the recent past. After a week of tests and countless specialists, heart, lung, etc., I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. I had my kidney removed and five years later I am cancer free.

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

After a rectal temperature high of 103.5 on the second day all I could do was stay in bed and take in plenty of fluids. I also retained a 2 quart cool saline enema for about 15 minutes and thankfully the fever broke the next day. I also alternated between Advil and Tylenol.

Comment from: marlenew2436, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have a fever of 99.9 and it is climbing, I also have a history of diverticulitis, and experiencing pain off and on in my colon. Two days ago I had an urgent need to empty my colon and didn't make it completely to the bathroom. The smell was fowl, I took Pepto Bismol, Pepcid, but today the temperature has started rising and I feel very cold but hot to touch, not sure if I should call a doctor.