Viewer Comments: Fever in Adults - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fever (in Adults):

Fever in Adults - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your fever?

Comment from: S M, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Lots of great info. Put my mind at ease. I've never had a fever last this long with no other symptoms other than aches, but apparently I should give a couple more days.

Comment from: Suz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I had FUO that would start rising about 7pm every night and break before I had to leave for work at 6am. Every night the temp would go higher than the previous night. I was admitted through the ER even though the ER doctor said I looked better than he did. I was in the hospital for a week and saw the doctor once. I had tests after tests because I had travelled to malarial countries and other places in the recent past. After a week of tests and countless specialists, heart, lung, etc., I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. I had my kidney removed and five years later I am cancer free.

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

After a rectal temperature high of 103.5 on the second day all I could do was stay in bed and take in plenty of fluids. I also retained a 2 quart cool saline enema for about 15 minutes and thankfully the fever broke the next day. I also alternated between Advil and Tylenol.

Comment from: marlenew2436, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have a fever of 99.9 and it is climbing, I also have a history of diverticulitis, and experiencing pain off and on in my colon. Two days ago I had an urgent need to empty my colon and didn't make it completely to the bathroom. The smell was fowl, I took Pepto Bismol, Pepcid, but today the temperature has started rising and I feel very cold but hot to touch, not sure if I should call a doctor.

Must Read Articles Related to Fever in Adults

Flu in Adults
Flu in Adults Flu (influenza) is an acute infection of the nose and throat airways. This infection may spread to the lungs. Flu is the most frequent cause of acute respirator...learn more >>
Allergy and Hay Fever Medications
Understanding Allergy and Hay Fever Medications There are many types of medications available to combat the symptoms of allergies and hay fever. The types of medications include antihistamines (Claritin, Zyrt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fever (in Adults):

Fever (in Adults) - Experience and Symptoms

Please describe your experience with fever symptoms.

Fever (in Adults) - Causes