Viewer Comments: Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

The symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: LaLa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was diagnosed nine years ago with fibromyalgia. I just recently started having pain in my hands and it is very painful to shake hands or lift heavy items.

Comment from: Wdb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed 1995 after a lot of very weird and sometimes degrading tests. First they thought I have cancer, then fibrositis. Finally the right doctor realized after the tender point tests was done that I have fibromyalgia. It's a pain that you cannot describe to people. All over your body! You cannot sleep. You cannot think! All that's important is how to cope from day to day!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

My story is much like the others. I can relate to most if not all of their symptoms. Mine started 20-25 years ago when a nutritionist said I had chronic fatigue. At that time those were words were never uttered to your dr. It was a FAKE disease. I was just diagnosed with this recently after ruling out many other things including rheumatoid arthritis. My PCP is starting out on helping my sleep. I am excited to FINALLY have a diagnosis that makes sense and a doctor who is working with me.

Comment from: Bluebird9, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had fibromyalgia since in my 20s. I think it originated in my neck and shoulders and behind my ears would feel like knots and my jaws would ache. I had continuous tension headaches where as I had sore spots on my head and the top of my head would feel numb. I also had a severe burning in my right hip. Over the years the pain has changed some. Both hips are tender, and I have low back pain, knee pain, shin pain and now I have Morton's neuroma in both feet. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year after visits to several chiropractors; primary doctors; a heart doctor for chest pain and a TMJ specialist and rheumatologist for my arms and hips. I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand but still sometimes have pain.

Comment from: julesb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

About 11 years ago I gave birth to my lovely son. Within a day, I had sharp pain in my neck and shoulder, and I haven't had a pain free day since. I developed postpartum depression and IBS within a few weeks, and those symptoms have fluctuated since. My doctors are thinking fibromyalgia.

Comment from: nannyd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had gone for a few years with severe pain. I was starting to think it was all in my head when nothing could be found. Finally, after thinking I was going crazy, a doctor gave my illness a name. Fibromyalgia! I also have had trouble sleeping for years. It seems the more sleep I get, the more I want. I seem to always be tired, and it is so frustrating when people don't understand. I was told by my family doctor, that the pain would plateau out and I would learn to live with it day by day. It has been years now, and I still never know where the pain is going to be from day to day. Depression is also a big part of it. I will keep checking on here to see if there is any new information comes out on this disease.

Comment from: allytheangel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was involved in a serious car crash in 2001 and although no broken bones, I did have severe whiplash. After two years of tests and some wrong diagnoses, I was eventually told that I had fibromyalgia. It was such a relief to finally have a diagnosis for all the pain. My rather old fashioned GP told me that it was ''all in your head'' and practically threw me out of the office! A quick change of doctors, I found one that actually understood fibromyalgia. My pain has rarely subsided with conventional painkillers but I did get better relief when I was prescribed morphine.

Comment from: Mark9tson, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I have fibromyalgia and went to a lecture at the Oregon Health Sciences University to learn the latest research. They had studied people with FMS when they were exercising & discovered that unlike normal people, FMS sufferers do not show increases in Human Growth Hormone levels when they exercise. This is why exercise is so difficult & exhausting for us. They discovered that large doses of HGH virtually cured this condition. But the necessary dosage would cost about $800/mo. After the lecture I found this product at my local natural foods store and, although the dosage is far less than any prescription, I thought I would give it a try. It took about 4 weeks to start noticing a difference, but then there was substantial improvement. My pain levels are not affected by this dosage, but my energy levels are up dramatically. I am now able to do yoga daily, which does decrease my pain level, and to do cardio workouts 2-3 times a week. Exercise is one of the best treatments for FMS. I have been using this product for 2 years now, including a 4-month break from it to make sure it was still making a difference. A friend of mine researched the formula in this product after discovering that HGH is not legally available w/o prescription. He found from the company that this product does not actually contain HGH itself, but contains compounds that stimulate the body's own production of HGH. Sounds like snake oil, but it does seem to be working for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Fibromyalgia

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Hip Pain
Hip Pain There are many causes of hip pain such as arthritis, trauma, strains, sprains, and other conditions that cause referred hip pain. Hip pain can be sharp, sudden,...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Treatments

How was your fibromyalgia treated?