Viewer Comments: Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

The symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Angie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have been having symptoms off and on since I was 21 yrs. old. When I was 21 it was really bad for a few months. There would be days I could barely move because the pain was so bad. My symptoms are pain, tenderness, stiffness, headaches, and fatigue. I was recently started on medications, which have helped the pain. I work a full-time job and I am enrolled in college.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

It started about 8-10 years ago. I was extremely tired all the time and I felt like someone was extracting all the energy out of me with a giant syringe. I was told at first it was depression. I got tired of hearing that so I switched doctors. The new doc found I had Sjogren's syndrome and sent me to autoimmune specialist. Since then I have had several test and now we know that I have fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have days it hurts to even breathe, but I keep moving.

Comment from: vegwell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

The pain started in my neck. I tried everything. New pillows, ice, heat. Then it spread across my shoulders and into my upper back. I have had pain other places too, but those are the main areas of concern. Although the pain has lessened over time, and I have returned to work, the insomnia is very problematic right now. I let a doctor talk me into taking an antipsychotic. As it turns out, the drug robbed me of personality and made me gain lots of weight.

Comment from: AltoonaLu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1988. Recently I went back to college to change careers. Imagine my surprise to hear my instructor tell our class of student nurses that fibromyalgia is not a real illness; it is a psychosomatic disorder. I tried to tell her differently, but she would not believe otherwise. So try telling that to my aches, pains, sleep disorders, and chronic fatigue...LOL! I'm now 55 years old. The best treatment I've found for myself is light exercise and a balanced diet. The exercise is the last thing a sufferer wants to do. But, I'm telling you it worked for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

About 10 years ago, I was recovering from a virus (which may or may not be applicable) and just couldn't seem to start feeling better. I had started to feel achy *after* the virus and it culminated in a day of pain that I can only describe as having been in a car wreck - that's the type of muscle pain I was having. After that initial bout which lasted several weeks, the pain settled into my shoulders, neck, lower back and hips. I finally went to the doctor because the pain in my hips became so severe I was convinced I had bone cancer. During the exam, the doctor pressed on the areas I've later learned are the pressure points. There was only 1 pair of pressure points in which I didn't feel distress when he pressed on them. After ruling out RA, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Comment from: noreen1313, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

My very first symptoms were pain in my lower back hurt and then in my wrists, which made me think I had carpal tunnel. Then my shoulders and neck started to hurt. The pain got so bad I ended up in the ER pleading for the pain to stop. I was started on Lyrica, Cymbalta, muscle relaxers and Amitriptyline for my constant insommina. If I got 3-4 hours of on and off sleep a night, it was a good night. When I was in the hospital I was lucky to sleep 1-2 hours total the whole day. Now I am on Lexapro since the Cymbalta was dropping my b/p too far and I am on Savella since the Lyrica was not helping with the pain. The pain is a little better but not by much. Some days I just don't want this pain anymore and would do almost anything to get rid of it. I had 2 children by c-section, gallbladder and gastric bypass surgery - all were relatively pain free compared to this. I have never had so much pain in my life.

I have extreme pain in my upper arms and thighs as well as osteoarthritis. I went to the doctor as I had trouble lifting my arms. I was sent to see a consultant who diagnosed fibromyalgia.

Comment from: Audrey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I now have fibromyalgia I refused to take medication for the fibromyalgia. My doctor recommended daily exercise, and stressed the importance of getting enough sleep. He was right. When I don't sleep well, the pain is almost more than I can tolerate. I would rather suffer with some very painful days, than take medications that very well might damage my kidneys, liver or who knows what.

Must Read Articles Related to Fibromyalgia

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Hip Pain
Hip Pain There are many causes of hip pain such as arthritis, trauma, strains, sprains, and other conditions that cause referred hip pain. Hip pain can be sharp, sudden,...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Treatments

How was your fibromyalgia treated?