Viewer Comments: Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

The symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: overachiever, 35-44 Male Published: March 10

My pain started when I fell at work and hurt my neck. I had pain in my neck and shoulders. What has helped me is many things combined. First, I lowered my stress. Anything that I thought would stress me, I avoided. My wife helped me a lot. Second, I started taking Cymbalta for the pain. Third, I stretched every muscle, every which way I could five times a week for about an hour a day. I have been a very active person all my life and I really believe that fibromyalgia is a combination of stress and over exercising. I have not exercised besides the stretching for over three months and I look and feel a lot better. I believe a muscle imbalance leads to some of this as well as overly dense muscles.

Comment from: Ikeepgoing, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I was in a car accident in 1999. Back surgery for ruptured discs failed. Pain in neck, back, chest, hands, hips, knees, and elbows. Headache, I take Prevacid every day for IBS. Pain meds and antidepressants help take away some of the pain. Acupuncture and aqua therapy helped, but had to stop when I went back to work. Always tired and achy. I am thankful my condition was eventually diagnosed and given a name. Quite a few "former" doctors indicated it was all in my head. My internal barometer can predict the weather better than most meteorologists.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My fibromyalgia started with uncontrollable headaches when my kids were little and moved down to 17 of the 18 trigger points, I have been on everything under the sun and have accused my symptoms on medications. I know better! I am 45 now and still getting treatment, but I am able to move much better, I am still having fatigue and also hip pain. If my loved ones would only become better versed with this disease they would understand my memory loss and fatigue and so forth. Thanks for the chance to vent!!

Comment from: alan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

The main area of pain is in the neck and shoulder areas has pain. I do not get enough sleep. It is always broken sleep and also I have had diarrhea which my doctor had me go get tests and a cat scan just incase it may have been cancer. Luckily it was not and I am clean, but I still have the diarrhea and the constant nagging pain in the neck and shoulder area. When I wake up in the morning the pain is excruciating and then I have a hot shower the pain subsides a little so I just bare it. It does no good complaining; it's just part of life I guess.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have suffered chronic pain for 30 years. It mostly affects my neck, back, shoulders hands and chest. More recently I have severe pain in the jaw area, blurred vision and have just had surgery for reflux problems. Sleepless nights with cold sweats and muscle cramps are awful. I was forced to leave a job I loved five years ago, as I had so much widespread pain. People will tell me I look extremely well and although I wouldn't want to look ill, it is extremely hard to make family and friends understand how debilitating these symptoms are. It is only now having seen a new G.P. that I have been referred to see a consultant who is arranging an MRI scan. He has mentioned he thinks it could be fibromyalgia. If it is don't let anyone tell you it gets better. It is totally disabling.

Must Read Articles Related to Fibromyalgia

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Hip Pain
Hip Pain There are many causes of hip pain such as arthritis, trauma, strains, sprains, and other conditions that cause referred hip pain. Hip pain can be sharp, sudden,...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Treatments

How was your fibromyalgia treated?