Viewer Comments: Fibromyalgia - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Treatments

How was your fibromyalgia treated?

Comment from: oldcowgirl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Trazadone has helped with sleep. Good sleep has amazing beneficial results. Also exercise. The more my body moves the better it feels.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am much like the rest of you. I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist in June. My younger sister was diagnosed in the early 90's. It is very hard to understand the pain and mental fog that fibro patients go thru until you experience it yourself. I have been blessed with a doctor that has empathy and cares and understands. My symptoms began in later teens and did not have major pain until two years ago. Fibro is a cyclical disease with symptoms that run in cycles. Than you reach a point where it turns to an active disease and your life is forever changed.

Comment from: Andrea, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was diagnosed in 1989. This is what I've observed helps for me with this illness: Antidepressants helped in the beginning. Acupressure definitely helped as well as massage and perhaps acupuncture. Walking and especially swimming help a lot. As does yoga and Tai Chi.

Comment from: Achey in Pa., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1998 and put on Amitriptoline, which really helped for about five years, but adversely affected my heart. Then was on Toprol for a few years and had to stop that due to side effects. I went off meds for awhile then tried Prozac as I started menopause. It helped somewhat, but I switched to Cymbalta. I'm trying to go without meds for awhile. I'm worried about my liver and kidneys. I feel better when I get into a regular exercise routine and eat healthy diet. My job involves a lot of driving, making my pervasive pain worse. Stress is a big enemy too. Sleep does not come easily without meds. Don't give up. I'm going to try tai chi.

Comment from: Slogan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

My doctor prescribed muscle relaxers and Trazodone for my sleep problem. He recommended vitamin therapies, nutraceuticals, and some hormonal replacement therapies, too. I started walking for about a half an hour two to three times per week. I do feel better now; it has been about five months since I was diagnosed.

Related Reading: Trazodone

Comment from: BBE60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since 1998 after being rear ended by a truck. I was just recovering from back surgery when that happened. I had what was like a bad case of aches and pains right after the accident which I thought was the flu. After two weeks it spread all over my body with great fatigue. I went through many doctors and potent pain drugs. Eventually, in 1996, through building up to exercising and eating right, I finally got off the strong pain drugs. The results = GREAT!!!

Comment from: willowtremor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was diagnosed in 1997 with fibromyalgia. Back then a lot of older physicians did not even believe that fibromyalgia existed so I had a hard time at first getting treatment. I finally found a physician that not only believed in fibromyalgia but also was willing to help me. In any case, my physician at the time did not prescribe it, she either was not aware of Lyrica or it hadn't been used for fibromyalgia at that time. My initial treatments consisted of physical therapy and pain meds (which did not work no matter how strong or what type they were). Three and a half years ago I was prescribed Lyrica. Now my story may not be typical of the success of Lyrica for me so do not think you will have the exact same results as I had. With that said, Lyrica controlled most of my pain about 75% of it for a year and a half that I was able to go off the Lyrica and without pain meds I was able to go two years without any treatment. I was still in some pain but able to function with the minimal pain I had. I have had to start taking Lyrica again recently because in the last 6 months the fibromyalgia has flared up to the point I was at before Lyrica. So here is hoping Lyrica will work as well this time as it did in the past.

Comment from: EastVillagePoet, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I treat my sever fibromyalgia pain with Methadone, Savella, exercise and meditation.

Related Reading: Methadone

Must Read Articles Related to Fibromyalgia

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
Hip Pain
Hip Pain There are many causes of hip pain such as arthritis, trauma, strains, sprains, and other conditions that cause referred hip pain. Hip pain can be sharp, sudden,...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia - Symptoms

The symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?