Viewer Comments: Fifth disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fifth Disease:

Fifth disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?

Comment from: Preschool teacher, 55-64 Female Published: February 19

I am a preschool teacher and I contracted Fifth Disease over a year ago. I began to feel bad a few days after a student sneezed on me. I developed a rash on my face, chest, and arms. My knees and elbows were swollen to almost twice their size and hurt tremendously. I was in so much pain that I finally went to the emergency room, I was immediately admitted to the hospital and was there almost a week. After many blood tests, I was diagnosed with Human Parvovirus B19. I have had a couple of other illnesses over the past few months and my doctor feels fairly certain that they all are a result of the Fifth disease. Needless to say, I feel that this is no minor illness for adults.

Comment from: Theresa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I started with a terrible headache for two days. Then I woke up not able to move my wrists or turn my head because my neck was stiff. The next day I couldn't lift my arms up over my head and my feet and knees felt achy. The doctors did an MRI of my head and neck. I was tested for Lyme and several other illnesses. Finally a week and a half later the blood tests revealed that I had parvovirus. Four weeks later I am feeling much better but still experiencing tingling and soreness in my hands and wrists. Cannot wait for this virus to be gone!

Comment from: DANDANRORO, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My 3-year-old has developed Fifth Disease. He came down with a cold 3 days ago, had a fever for one day. Today he was diagnosed with Fifth Disease. He started with red cheeks and the following day, a rash had developed on his back, shoulders and top of his arms. The following day, the rash looked like it had mapped itself together on his back, tummy and arms. He is running around the place with no sickness only a small cough.

Comment from: swollen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

I got it in my late thirties. It swelled up all my joints. I had to wear slippers because my feet were so swollen. All of my joints were so painful.

Comment from: 3-6 Male Published: March 27

My five-year-old son is at the tail end of fifth disease. He was fine one night when I put him to bed the next morning he had a sore throat, a cold, and a fever. He was in bed for two days. On the third day, his fever broke but got a rash all over his chest and back then it went up his neck, down his arms and on his hands and cheeks. The fever came back. Finally after six days the fever is totally gone and the rash is going away. I think his case was mild. I am just hoping there are no long term side effects from it.

Comment from: Gram on deck, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

Four kids of a family of five kids, plus Mom, are down with 5th disease! I guess the fifth kid will get it too then! Some of the kids are in stages of improvement, some are not! This is tough on Mom. Today one of the kids got a very itchy hive on her chest area. The others haven't mentioned a rash. Mom has been the most ill.

Must Read Articles Related to Fifth Disease

Fever in Children
Fever in Children Fever is defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4 F or 38.0 C. Fever isn't life-threatening unless it is persistently high -- greater than 107 F rectal temper...learn more >>
Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fifth Disease:

Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fifth disease.