Viewer Comments: Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fifth Disease:

Fifth Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with fifth disease.

Comment from: Roseee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had Fifth Disease in 1963 when I was about 15 years old. I had a very high fever (106 was what Mom reported), and was terribly sick with rash, the fever, and my body was so sore, I could not be touched. I ended up with a MS diagnosis in my 30's, which may have been related to that illness. I was also depressed for a time after the disease, and very weak with some problem walking. To this day, I have a rosacea type rash on my face, which just looks like a healthy rosy appearance. I had treatment for rash, but it didn't help. Being so young probably helped me recover, however, this is, in my opinion, a disease that needs watching, and more study. If I had had better care, I may not have ended up with future problems in adulthood. My doctor, at that time, knew of the disease, and diagnosed it, but I had had rubella, and the regular measles as a younger child, and chicken pox, and I think I may have developed an autoimmune disorder after that. I also developed heart disease in early 20's.

Comment from: Jean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I got Fifth disease in '72. At the time I came down with it I was a fairly heavy smoker. I was so sick for two days that I couldn't smoke and ended up quitting. My body was so painful that I didn't want to be touched anywhere as it increased the pain immensely. I was in bed with this for at least four days and finally broke out with a rash. Before I came down with this I had fight to keep myself up to 100 lbs. After getting this I developed a constant hunger and I am talking about having this feeling 24 hours a day! The weight started piling on. Thankfully I read somewhere that if you were lacking Choline you could have a constant hunger. I started taking lecithin that contains choline, and within a few days lost the constant hunger. However, my metabolism no longer burns as fast as it did before I contacted this and have fought the weight ever since. Along with the weight I also developed arthritic like symptoms. At one time it got so bad I couldn't even walk by myself and it hurt to even breathe. It has never been that bad since but I have had aching every day since. Some days are fairly good but I never have a day that I am pain free and it has been 38 years ago. I was 27 at the time I got sick with this and evidently picked up from one of my two children. They had not showed any symptoms that I noticed.

Related Reading: lecithin

Comment from: Susan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

My experience started with feeling faint on 2 occasions. A few days later, I developed a lacy rash on my arms, trunk and legs following a shower. It was not itchy. After another day or two, I developed soreness in my right wrist that began to radiate into my forearm. The next day, my left wrist was also sore. My hands were achy and I found it difficult to perform routine tasks such as opening jars and tying shoe laces. After another day, my ankles became very sore. I saw a physician on the next day. By this time, my ankles were swollen, my hands were extremely swollen and my knees began to hurt. I was diagnosed with Parvovirus both IgM and IgG positive. My rheumatoid factor was also elevated (100). The swelling dissipated after several days but my right wrist remains a bit sore even weeks later.

Comment from: Jo-Ann A., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I am 47 years. old. One week ago my 7 year old son and I developed fever and cold symptoms for a few days. My sons' fever disappeared quickly and he developed a sunburn looking rash on his face and arms, but said he felt fine. I saw him scratching at his arm, but he denied feeling itchy. The school nurse and the pediatrician said it was fifths' disease. I had started taking antibiotics for bronchitis with green phlegm. I soon developed a pink rash all over my whole body. I called my doctor and he said it would be reasonable to assume I had fifths' disease too. I finished the antibiotics and the bronchitis is improving, but now my hands knees and feet are a little swollen looking and I am having joint pain and stiffness in my fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, toes and worst of all in my knees. Now I am taking Advil for the pain (might I mention I just had back surgery less than one month ago). I hope these joint pains don't last too long.

Comment from: Alison, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Two weeks ago, I started with a sore throat and runny nose. As the week progressed, I experienced nausea, joint pain, low grade fever, lacked energy and had upset stomach. I went to the doctor who tested me for the flu, which was negative. On Thursday, my son came home from school stating they had sent several kids home who were running a fever and had a rash. He said the nurse called it Fifth Disease and he had the rash on his upper arms and armpit area. He stated he had been feeling fine. On Sunday, when I was actually feeling better, I noticed I had a rash develop on my two middle knuckles. When I took off my shoes, I had a spotty rash all over my feet and side of my ankles. On Monday morning, I woke up to swollen hands and feet. I also felt like someone had beaten my elbow, knees and ankles with a baseball bat. It was difficult to move. On Tuesday morning, I woke up from a numb feeling in several fingers. I returned to the doctor the next day because this was freaking me out and was informed this disease produces the effects of arthritis in adults and these effects would least several weeks. Today, it has been two weeks and the rash has progressed up the bottom portion of my legs. It feels prickly at times and is red and inflamed looking. I am very thankful my son has not experienced the same symptoms I have because it has been miserable. Now reading comments from others and the duration of this illness is upsetting. I am a 43 year old female.

Must Read Articles Related to Fifth Disease

Fever in Children
Fever in Children Fever is defined as a rectal temperature over 100.4 F or 38.0 C. Fever isn't life-threatening unless it is persistently high -- greater than 107 F rectal temper...learn more >>
Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected. The pharynx, tonsils, adenoids, larynx, and epiglottis. Sore throat treatment depends on the ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fifth Disease:

Fifth disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?

Parenting Know-How: We've hand-picked our best pregnancy, baby and parenting content just for you